wtf?

Options
so over the last week, I've always been under my calorie limit but ive gained a kg. my limit was 1340, and I usually stopped at 1100-1250 ish.

any1 know of any possible reasons?

waist has been the same, And hips measurement has droped 2cm,

I also do 30-40mins of strength training mon-fri.

what's the possibility that I've gained muscle mass instead of gaining fat?

Replies

• giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I would think the gaining of muscle is pretty likely here.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    1100 cals is not enough. and if you're strength training you need to take a day off between sessions to give your muscles time to repair the damage. it's most likely that you're retaining water because you're not taking that time off
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It takes months an months to gain 1 pound of muscle, and you would have to be eating more that maintenance calories to accomplish that. So it's likely not muscles. Similarly, you'd have to eat an excess of 3500 calories to put on 1 lb of fat. From your post, we can assume it's also not that. So what's left? Water weight. Water weight can make your weight fluctuate by upwards of 5 or 6 lbs, easily, especially if you are eating a lot of sodium, carbs, or hitting your TOM. Heck, I once dropped over 5lbs in 24 hours from water weight alone - the difference from drinking and eating a lot of salty carbs the night before.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Had this convo earlier this evening. Gaining muscle is just pure impossible at the deficit you're at (heck, I was told it was impossible at my deficit and I'm netting 1700 cals/day!):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/303709-is-it-possible-to-build-some-muscle-while-dropping-a-lot-of
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    so over the last week, I've always been under my calorie limit but ive gained a kg. my limit was 1340, and I usually stopped at 1100-1250 ish.

waist has been the same, And hips measurement has droped 2cm,

what's the possibility that I've gained muscle mass instead of gaining fat?
    None. You're retaining water from the exercise. It's normal and will adjust itself in a little while.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I would think the gaining of muscle is pretty likely here.
    Unfortunately you don't gain muscle on calorie deficit. You need calorie surplus.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Try eating more? I wasn't losing weight for a while and then I took a couple of cheat days and upped my calorie goal and lost another pound almost right away (might be a coincidence, but still).
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of water weight from whatever you're eating and your muscles retaining water from the strength training. In addition, you didn't say if the amounts you posted are your net calories or total calories. Are you eating 1150 PLUS whatever you burned working out? If not, you should be or your body will eventually refuse to let go of any fat b/c your metabolism will stall.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You're stopping the intake at 1100 cals and still doing extra exercise? Your body is probably feeling starved and holding on to everything for dear life. Eat your exercise calories... I know it may seem strange but eat more.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You're stopping the intake at 1100 cals and still doing extra exercise? Your body is probably feeling starved and holding on to everything for dear life. Eat your exercise calories... I know it may seem strange but eat more.

If it's only been the one week, that's unlikely the body won't go into starvation mode (which I don't even buy) unless it's over a period of months.

I.E, I do strength training 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, but my net calories are only about 800-900 usually...I lose 2lbs a week, and have dropped 30lbs in 2.5 months....if there was a starvation mode that soon, I'd be there.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    and I usually stopped at 1100-1250 ish.

Your reasons are above. That's FAR too little, especially if you're strength training.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

If it's only been the one week, that's unlikely the body won't go into starvation mode (which I don't even buy) unless it's over a period of months.

I.E, I do strength training 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, but my net calories are only about 800-900 usually...I lose 2lbs a week, and have dropped 30lbs in 2.5 months....if there was a starvation mode that soon, I'd be there.

You may get there- I did eating 1200 a day for 2 years. Lost 40 lbs and then stalled for 6 months. It happens.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

You may get there- I did eating 1200 a day for 2 years. Lost 40 lbs and then stalled for 6 months. It happens.

I only have 20lbs left to lose, and I plan on having that gone before my 1/2 Marathon in October. So far it's been a little over 10lbs a month.

And it'll put me at 50lbs lost in 5 months. I started at 220lb the 3rd week of May