Do you measure/ weigh your food?

Options
MoonIite
MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
Personally speaking I weigh everything- including vegetables (except black coffee and spices) on my Taylor food scale and log every bite that goes into my mouth. My family finds it a bit obsessive, but I beg to differ. I can't seem to eyeball portion sizes even after weighing my food every single day for 5 months. Isn't that pathetic?

I don't make a big fuss about going over when eating out, but at home I have to measure/weigh my food. There's no other way around it.

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Everything. Going on 6 months for me. Once I reach my goal, I may lessen the OCD behavior, when I'm on maintenance mode. Right now, I figure I'll stick with it, then ween myself off the scale, and try to eyeball things more. I just like recording everything EXACTLY. Keeps me accountable :)
  • blue04711
    blue04711 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure 90% of what I eat as well. I don't think it's obsessive. I bought an HRM to calculate how many calories I burn when exercising so how is that any different?
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    my fiancé melted my scales! I eyeball everything, including when I'm making things from scratch :P
  • jandzsmom
    jandzsmom Posts: 14
    Options
    No! If it has helped you get results then DO IT! I would not be down 2+ lbs this week if not for weighing/measuring everything. To quote Judith Beck (from The Beck Diet Solution), "Thin people are very careful about what they eat."
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about a year and still measure. Not as much as before because I am now aware, but If I question myself I pull out the scale. Best thing I could have done for weight loss.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I measure, don't weigh, and sometimes measure by eyeball. I'm okay with approximate.
  • csoul27
    csoul27 Posts: 53
    Options
    No it's not. I have just started weighing my food and was shocked at how much I had been over eating. No wonder I wasn't losing any weight. Everything is portioned out and weighed now and I've lost almost 4 pounds in a few weeks not to mention some inches.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that goes into my mouth. My diary shows exactly what has gone into my mouth for that day. If I eyeball or don't measure....that is how going over by a little will turn into a little more the next day and a little more the next.....for me I have to know what is going in. That is just me and my personality!
  • whitney22blue
    Options
    weigh weigh weigh, all the way but the bar scanner is my baby
  • annadilynn
    annadilynn Posts: 84
    Options
    I measure and or weigh if i am not sure of what i am eating...some stuff i have weighed and measured before so i am aware of exactly how much a serving is...aka, like i have a specific cup for my cereal, and know how much to put in it to make a serving... i find that weighing or measuring is VERY IMPORTANT when it comes to calorie counting...and I know that if I didnt count calories, I would not be where I am today in my diet goals....I am a person will very little will power, and I thank God for his help every day too :0), without him I would surely fail ... I know my weaknesses and I try to avoid the pitfalls of them....
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I way everything which is not prepackaged, wear a HR monitor. It does get a little obsessive but it is the only way i can stay connected with what I am putting in my body.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, I only achieved my results by being so diligent. I don't care if it is considered obsessive. Of course, I have to anyway because I have to limit protein and sodium to prevent further kidney stones.
  • debteel
    debteel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food also. I especially weigh my meats, that is hard to eyeball. And if I eat like chips or something I have to weigh. Learning to eat the correct portion size when I weigh my food.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i do some items (potatos) but just till you know there weights and you get a feel for them so to speek!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything with calories (I just eyeball veggies, spices, etc.). I've found it's too easy to over-estimate (or even under-estimate) if I eyeball. I leave my scale on the counter, so it doesn't take but a second to weigh something (thanks to the tare button!)
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Its ok now, but in life you cannot weigh everything. You have to learn how to eat properly or you will have a lot of problems trying to llive a normal life when you're done with this program. Weighing veggies is not necessary as they hardly add up calories, except for root veggies don't bother. It will be hard to get rid of that habit if you don't learn how to eyeball now.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I did for a long time, but finally felt like I was able to eyeball things. Now, years later, I'm thinking I need to measure stuff again because it's probably sneaked up over time. Besides, my husband (who's also doing this) keeps disagreeing with my estimates (he always thinks I'm over-estimating, I think he's not aware of how little 1 oz of cheese really is!)

Would love recommendations for a good, inexpensive food scale!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I just weigh calorie dense foods.

This video is a real eye opener about how easy it is to underestimate what you are eating if you are measuring by volume instead of weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

"You know you lick the spoon."
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The OCD challenge! I measure and weigh my food. Period! No explanations for it. It fits me and I am fine with that:heart:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh/measure everything! And I'm even anal enough to carry a set of measuring spoons and cups in my purse in a ziploc baggie for when I eat out. Sad I know, but it works!!!!!