I always eat over the protein amount

Everyday I stay within my ranges except for protein. I thought that protein is supposed to be what helps you lose weight. Am I slowing my opportunity for weight loss? I would have a really hard time cutting this down. I am eating whole grains, proteins and fruit and veggies mostly. I feel great...Thoughts?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    No. Not at all. You should exercise though. Protein will help your body convert fat to muscle. Also, the extra protein is probably helping keep you from feeling hungry. It's not a bad thing to go over on protein as long as you are effectively using that extra protein.
  • Sheanna3
    Sheanna3 Posts: 6 Member
    as long as it's lean protein you should do great!:smile:
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    You shouldn't really worry about going over somewhat on the amounts as I think they're based on various daily intake recommendations and also calculated on what you input on your Sex, Height, Weight and probably goals.
    However, if you do weight training as part of your excercise routine then some extra Protein doesn't hurt to much.
    If you want to loose weight I would hope you are doing some weights as that helps eat away at the body fats in addition to any walking/running you might do.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    i go over like 6 days a week, love my protein but also workout 6 days a week :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I upped my protein goals on here *AND* I try to go over every day. I'm not doing low carb or anything, but I aim to get about one gram protein per lean muscle mass.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I always go way over, too. Sometimes almost twice what is "allotted".

I think it's a good thing. I have not been paying a lot of attention to that or to fat, either, just calories, (I eat about half the sugar allowed) and it's sure working for me. It seems to come really naturally to eat this way. Give it some time and see how you progress! IMO, if it feels natural, you're likely to stick to it, right?
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    I don't mind exceeding my protein so long as it is lean, and I am within my overall calorie goal. I like to keep my protein high to help recover from my workouts.