For about 20 dollars

ambie35
ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

A tumblr friend posted this interesting article.
It shows comparisons for around 20 dollars of what you could get at a drive through,or what healthy things you could spend that money on.

Replies

• ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Thanks, that was a great article. It's a real eye opener when you see it broken down like that.
  • aleah623
    aleah623 Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you for sharing that. Its an eye opener. Sometimes I wonder if eating healthier is cheaper or not. This visual shows it is.
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    interesting article :)
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    I absolutely love this--I think my grocery bill was the best it ever was back in like October-March of last year, and that's completely due to the fact that we cut the junk! Quinoa, beans, fresh veggies (local,of course), and fruit...we ate like kings, and spent like paupers :)

Definitely will be headed back in that direction now that we are in our OWN house! Holler!
  • Articles like this make me just confirm over and over again that it is possible for me (and everyone else) to lose weight and eat healthier. This article makes me so excited to keep eating healthier.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I have seen this picture before and I think it is totally misleading. You are comparing 2 different food.Take out is more expensive, because you pay for those people who made the food, plus their profit too.
    If you compare eating out junk or eating out healthy food, all the sudden the junk is half the price.
    If you compare eating home junk or eating home healthy food , the junk is cheaper yet again.

Healthy food IS more expensive, but you have a better quality and longer life so it is still worth it.
    Our grocery bill are skyrocking, and we are a family of 3 eating homecooked meals 85% of the time, and always have.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    It is interesting but would be better if they compared more things that were similar, just a healthy version versus the not healthy.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And totally true!

You guys that posted that you are not comparing the same things, totally do not get it at all. The writer is proving the point that you CAN buy healthy food for the same price as unhealthy take out. Maybe you need to read the article again and pay a little better attention.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    I have seen this picture before and I think it is totally misleading. You are comparing 2 different food.Take out is more expensive, because you pay for those people who made the food, plus their profit too.
    If you compare eating out junk or eating out healthy food, all the sudden the junk is half the price.
    If you compare eating home junk or eating home healthy food , the junk is cheaper yet again.

Healthy food IS more expensive, but you have a better quality and longer life so it is still worth it.
    Our grocery bill are skyrocking, and we are a family of 3 eating homecooked meals 85% of the time, and always have.

Did you look at this particular article? I have seen similar ones that only include takeout and fast food as the junk, but after the first few examples in this article, they are all -- as you phrased it -- home junk.

The prices are from Walmart (where I refuse to shop) and probably sale prices at that, but it's still well done.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    I got the concept of the article. I just think it could have been better if they would have shown similar items.
    The KFC one is an example of what I am talking about. It showed the KFC meal and then the comparison was chicken and things you could use to make sides, plus a lot of other items. It shows that it is cheaper to make a chicken meal at home and still have food for other days.
  • We have the same goal weight, and the same amount to lose. Cool. I have lost 63 lbs already before starting this....its my first day here. Anyway just wanted to comment because of our similar goals
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    That is a great post! Thanks for sharing.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    You could get even more if you didn't buy all brand name sh** like the posted. Not to mention half of the name brand stuff is crap. lol. One of them is peas and corn; both which don't have much nutritional value. But, still TONS better than a dominoes breadstick! LOL!!! Really good article.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hey, that's pretty cool. I especially like the carton of Coke vs fresh produce, for all the people who say "I can't afford to eat healthy" just dropping some soft drink each week is going to allow the produce into the trolley.

But the main thing that jumped out at me... food in America is cheap!!
    I wish you could get bananas for 47c a pound here... yesterday I paid $15 kg (that's about $8 a pound!)
    Or chicken breast for under $1 a pound - you'd pay about $6 pound here.
  • greensnow
    greensnow Posts: 73
    Where are they shopping?? Lol! I don't know if Tasmania is different but all that food would be at least DOUBLE the cost down here.. especially the meat!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    I am SHOCKED at the prices! One of those had Soy milk, activia yogurt and brown rice for a total of $5.43. The cheapest we can get soy milk in our town is $3.99, the average being $4.99. I saw in a difference picture that coke was $5.19/24 cans. We pay that much for one case, not that we buy it anymore.

It may just be where we live, but its actually costs more to eat junk then it does to eat healty. A box of fruit loops is around $8.00, chips are $4.00/bag, frozen pizzas are $10 (which is the same price as a pack of 5 chicken breasts) i could never understand when people said it was too expensive to eat healthy foods, but maybe its just because our un-healthy stuff is so high priced.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Most the prices they posted in this article are not realistic or accurate unless you hit an amazing sale. One had extra lean ground beef for under $2 per pound and I generally pay about $4.50 per pound.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Can't wait to read the article, thanks for sharing!
This discussion has been closed.