couch to 5k Treadmill vs "real" running

Options
2»

Replies

• 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill it is easy to set a pace and run it. Like I know a half of an hour at 5.5 will get me to 2.50 miles give or take a few. Outside the pace is harder to set. You might feel like you are going too slow or too fast and not know the exact number. Also if you run indoors only your body will have hard time adjusting to running outside even if you use and incline on the treadmill it is just different. I have been running the c25k for about a month and in the beginning it was just about getting used to running so I stuck with the treadmill. I was doing well and then decided I could run a 5k course outside and wow it was bad! 45 minutes later and I was almost back to my starting point haha. Now I try to run outside at least 3 days a week.

I have never run an actual 5k before. I think though a good time for a real beginner would be 30-45 mins? Strive for a ten min mile for now 30 mins or so is a decent time especially for someone just starting and then work on speed once your are OK with running the distance completely.

I am not an official racer though but I heard form a trainer that 30 -35 is good for a beginner.

Thanks. I'll have to run a few miles on the treadmill and compare it to the track near my work. I'm mainly concerned with overall speed over distance. For me a 3 mile run is plenty far enough lol.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're going to be able to go faster on a treadmill because you don't have to deal with incline, the weather conditions, and other factors. I personally like outside better because my pace will vary second to second. It feels more natural.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Studies show that you won't perform the same outside as you will on the treadmill but its not going to be bad training - treadmill has a lot more give and bounce to it, ground doesn't do that. If you are running just for exercise where you do it doesn't matter but if you actually plan to run a 5k somewhere, you should probably train at least 50% outside so that its not a total shock when you step out for the actual run.

And a 6-7 minute mile for a non athlete is pretty good. Got this from the interwebs:

Olympic runners can do < 4:00 minute miles. Champion marathon runners do 4:45 minute miles. A very good, but not professional, marathon runner can do a mile in 5-6 minutes. A good time for a recreational runner in a marathon is 4 hours, which is 9+ minute miles.
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Nice. TY everyone for your advice and opinions. It's appreciated!
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love running outside and I hate running on the treadmill.