Starting something new

Options
I am interested in spinning and yoga (or actually "power yoga", since that's the only yoga class at my gym that fits my schedule)

What have you experienced with either of these classes? Did you like them or dislike them? Tell me your opinions. I'll go try them out anyways most likely but I still want opinions. Also tell me why you liked/disliked them and what they were like.

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    Options
    I am interested in spinning and yoga (or actually "power yoga", since that's the only yoga class at my gym that fits my schedule)

What have you experienced with either of these classes? Did you like them or dislike them? Tell me your opinions. I'll go try them out anyways most likely but I still want opinions. Also tell me why you liked/disliked them and what they were like.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    NO POWER YOGA! All the benefits of performing yoga have been stripped out when it's "power yoga." Yoga is a meeting of the mind, body, and spirit, and that needs to be the goal when you preform the art. I highly recommend any and all yoga DVD's by Gaiam, they're well-structured and very helpful. "Quick Start Yoga for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason is a really good beginner-level program, available online or at Target.

I don't know much about spinning but if you're going to practice yoga, please make it be about your entire self and not just getting "toned and sexy", there's so much more to it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

viviakay is the queen of spinning....you should msg her. She lost 80-something pounds and has been on maintenance for a long time now ( where r u, V??) and I know she does Yoga religiously, too.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    All the benefits of performing yoga have been stripped out when it's "power yoga." Yoga is a meeting of the mind, body, and spirit, and that needs to be the goal when you preform the art.
    I TOTALLY disagree with this statement. I find that power yoga makes an even more intense statement. Power Yoga involves an even stronger mind/body connection... because keeping in connection with your body and your breathe while doing flow poses is insane, and I LOVE it! I also find that power yoga has helped me gain strength and flexibility quicker than any other form (did I mention, btw, that I'm also a yoga instructor).
    I say... try the power yoga!