Device/App for Bike calories and/or distance?

Options
Heyas!

I'm trying to figure out a good way to figure out how far I've gone and how many calories I've burned when out riding my bike. Is there some sort of little device to put on the bike so I can get distance? Kind of like a bike pedometer? Or at least something to figure out how fast I've been going. The trails we've been interested in don't have mileage marked and I'm too lazy to take the time at the map to figure it out. ha!

The next question is, which way do you guys/gals figure out calorie burn? iPod app? Android app? HRM? I'm hoping to be cheap if possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Garmin makes cycling computers that use GPS to track distance and route. Some of them are also compatible with chest straps and cadence sensors. I have a 405CX which is a watch-style one, that I just strap to my bike when I go for a ride. Love it. It derives calorie burn from the HRM function.

You can do similar with a smart phone app - CardioTrainer, Endomondo, RunKeeper, MapMyRide. But those will calculate purely from GPS (speed and maybe elevation).

Or maybe combine smartphone app with a plain chest-strap style HRM to get the best of both worlds, if you already have those.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do all my biking on the road so I just drive my route to determine distance off the odometer; I use this to determine distance and calculate average speed. You can buy cycling HRMs that calculate speed, distance, etc. but they are not cheap. I've seen very cheap devices (< $15) at WalMart that supposedly calculate distance and speed though I don't know anything about their reliability.

I use a Polar FT7 HRM to monitor HR and calories and I really like it. I paid about $100 for mine. It is a chest band monitor which are more reliable (so I've read) than straight wrist monitors which will be cheaper. If you're going to invest in a HRM I'd spring for the chest band up front since you can always upgrade to a pricier model down the road if you desire.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I got a little bike pedometer, spedometer thingy. I call it my "bike computer" :) It does speed, distance, average speed, max speed, and time. I got it for like $13 at walmart!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Head to any bike shop. You can purchase a cyclometer that attaches to your wheel & calculates distance based on wheel size & number of revolutions. You can get one for as little as $15. Cost goes up as you add features. MFP's calories burned based on your average speed is pretty accurate. When I do use my HRM on a ride the 2 numbers are within 10% of each other.

Good luck & have fun!!
  • AriannaInIdaho
    Options
    iphone app called smartrunner... its free, not sure if its on android as well, but i dont see why it wouldnt be. tracks speed, calories, distance and has a setting for running, cycling, hiking, and others.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    you can also try mapmyride.com
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I use the LogYourRun app on my iPhone. {FREE!} It calculates speed, time, distance and caloric burn using the GPS and I'm guessing a similar formula that MFP uses. It can be coupled with some HRMs , but I haven't got the spare $$ for that yet. It also can be used for walking, running and other activities. Another one I use occasionally is Runkeeper {FREE!} Lots of apps out there. Try a bunch, see which one you like the best.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I use map my ride ap. It's free and you can trace your route and put in the time it took you and it will give you all the stats.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405 and it calculates my miles and pace for biking and running. It also has a chest strap/heart rate monitor so I can figure out calories burned as well. I think it was about $150 on Amazon. It was a gift so I'm not exactly sure of the price. I love it.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My husband has a "bike pedometer" I think he got it at the local bike shop. I'ts pretty accuate!

If you get an HRM, yes spring for the chest strap!! Well worth it..I have a Polar FT4(womans) and it was only 58.00 on Amazon I LOVE IT :)
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Search for endomondo. Brilliant app for tracking all kinds of activities, and it shows calories burned. Uses your phone's GPS to track where you go, how fast, elevation, etc.

Edit: And there's a free version that does everything you need.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I used Cardio Trainer on my android ..... does GPS and I have a Polar Bluetooth HRM that hooks up to it
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    These are such awesome suggestions! Thanks! I didn't know there were so many options out there.

I'll definitely look into these and see which will work best for me. I didn't know they had HRMs that worked with bluetooth, too.

Thanks again!