which scale is more accurate

Options
I was wondering which scale would be considered more accurate

A-digital
B-analog
C- those one from the dr's office, where you move the bottom part and the top part until the middle thing balances in the middle
(sorry I don't know the name of them)

I am asking because yesterday my digital said 176.4 and today it says 179.2 but the one at the gym (option C) says 174 fully clothed

so which one would be closer to the correct weight?
I know there is no way I gained 3 lbs over night, I had a bad meal last night but that was my cheat meal for the week. but was still under my calorie goal since I had worked out that day. ( i never eat my exercise calories but I did last night)

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well to start off with, your weight can fluctuate by up to 5 pounds up and down in any 24 hour period. So looking at day to day will not show whether your scale is accurate or not. The best way to test accuracy is to either weigh something that has a definite weight (like a dumbbell) and see how close it gets, or step on the scale, then get off and step right back on. Try that 3 or 4 times and see if it gives the same reading every time.

Electronic and balance scales are usually the most accurate, with electronic being the most reliable, as balance scales can have the element of human error introduced. As for analog scales, most of them are spring based, and springs wear out.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    yeah we put weights on my digital scale and it's accurate-

I was wondering more out of curiosity then anything. I know my weight will fluctuate from day to day.