too much protein?

Options
i noticed i wasn't getting enough protein a few days in a row...i also felt like i was hungry even after having a midmorning snack, so i decided to have a protein shake instead of a shake and i am feeling fuller and also meeting my protein goal...the only problem is that now i am almost always exceeding my protein (recommended on here) by like 15-20 g ... i do work out- yoga daily, weights twice a week, about 20 min of cardio everyday also... is there a such thing as TOO MUCH protein?! if so- what are the side effects? :yawn: thanks for ur help!

Replies

• gettinghealthy777
    Options
    i noticed i wasn't getting enough protein a few days in a row...i also felt like i was hungry even after having a midmorning snack, so i decided to have a protein shake instead of a shake and i am feeling fuller and also meeting my protein goal...the only problem is that now i am almost always exceeding my protein (recommended on here) by like 15-20 g ... i do work out- yoga daily, weights twice a week, about 20 min of cardio everyday also... is there a such thing as TOO MUCH protein?! if so- what are the side effects? :yawn: thanks for ur help!

Excellent question!! I have a friend that wants to start the Dukan diet and it consists of lots and lots of protien!!! I am curious too.:huh:
  • Devilbat
    Devilbat Posts: 14
    Options
    MFP's base suggested protein is notoriously low. A general guide is 1g of protein to every lb you weigh. If you're not going way over than that, it's nothing to worry about.
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I know that the program I was on - I needed double the amount of protein listed. Too much protein - possible - don't know what the side effects wil could be - someone who is more knowledgeable will have to help you with that question. I just think you need to find a good balance for your body. I try to always eat less carbs than they show. I have reached my goal weight so I know it is doable. Good luck on your journey.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MFP's level is a bit low, if your working out and strength training you can safely have 1gram per pound of weight
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    MFP's base suggested protein is notoriously low. A general guide is 1g of protein to every lb you weigh. If you're not going way over than that, it's nothing to worry about.

This. I think the default percentages is something like 15% of your total calories. I changed mine to 30% and now I am always under instead of over.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options

THIS /\

I eat 1g of protein for every lb that I weigh and that seems to be the right amount for me.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Does anyone know what the side effects are of too much protein? I heard it can make your face look fuller, but then again, there are people on these high protein diets,, like Atkins and the Dukan diet that are losing tons of weight and look great...soooo confused...
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein levels are low. I think it has protein being 15% of your daily diet, you can go into settings and change your levels. I would say to do 50% of your diet in carbs, 25% in protein, and 20% in fat. Then those 20g you exceed will be within the limits. You can eat 30g every 3 hours and it won't be toxic in your body, but if you eat more than 30g at one setting, you just urinate out the excess nitrogen found in protein causing your liver and kidneys to work harder. If I could look at your diary that would be great!
  • glenr79
    Options
    the people on the Atkins diet are just losing muscle and bone. Carbohydrates are used as the body's fuel source. Since you don't have any carbs they are having to use protein and fat as the energy source. So your body is taking protein form your muscles and bone to convert to glucose. Also causes ketosis which means that your blood is becoming acidic. They will lose weight at first, but then will be haulted, and when they come back to a regular diet will gain back their weight 2x fold.
  • glenr79
    Options
    you are right on^^^^ Amber!
  • glenr79
    Options
    25-30% is ideal for healthy diet.. but make sure it is lean protein. i.e. baked fish, baked chicken, tunafish, eggs, turkey, 1% or less milk, cottage cheese and you will be good to go!
  • crazynay96
    crazynay96 Posts: 99
    Options
    too much protein can cause toxicity to your body. Protein is flushed through your kidneys, when you have too much protein you get toxic ketones which put your body's excretion system into overdrive. Usually the first symptom one will notice is dehydration because of the fact that that your body is in over drive working to rid your body of the toxins (using water to do so). Massive headaches, loss of elasticity, of course weakness and sometimes dizziness.

Also remember that when one puts strain on one part of the body another part has to overcompensate and 9 times out of 10 that is your heart!