Compression tights, what's the go?

Options
zeeeb
zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
I was in a sports store the other day and saw some of those compression tights that alot of the gym instructors wear, and i looked at the price for curiositys sake.... over $200 for the long ones!*??? Yeah, I'm in Australia, i don't know about the prices around the world, but seriously? It's not like they are made by Chanel or something...

What do these pants do? they'd wanna give a butt lift, tummy tuck and a boob job for that price.

Do they work, or are they just the new, expensive, trendy must have for the over cashed up gym freaks...

Replies

• chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Are they compression stockings? Look for Truform or Jobst brands online... much, much cheaper. You'll need to measure yourself though.
  • zeeeb
    Options
    they are the 2XU brand ones... I don't really want them, but i was just astounded at the price, and wondered if they do something special, or if they are just a really expensive joke.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Cold Weather or Hot Gear Brand name " Under Armor" or Off Brand $10 - $ 55 USD Range
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for all of them, but UnderArmor helps prevent and re-hab groin pulls. It is used by may professional athletes and understand it has quite a few studies to show it does what it claims. That is likely why it is expensive, assuming it is something like that. Some of the stuff out there is nothing more than a fashion statement, and the price is likely higher than it is worth.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I was in a sports store the other day and saw some of those compression tights that alot of the gym instructors wear, and i looked at the price for curiositys sake.... over $200 for the long ones!*??? Yeah, I'm in Australia, i don't know about the prices around the world, but seriously? It's not like they are made by Chanel or something...

What do these pants do? they'd wanna give a butt lift, tummy tuck and a boob job for that price.

Do they work, or are they just the new, expensive, trendy must have for the over cashed up gym freaks...

I have a friend that has to wear them for circulation for his diabetes. . . .
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is for compression socks: "The primary rationale behind wearing compression socks in a race is that they may enhance venous return to the heart through a more efficient calf muscle pump, leading to increased endurance capacity. And there is the notion that because muscles are kept more compact, balance and proprioception are improved and muscle fatigue is minimized." Supposed to help running performance and muscle recovery.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a hereditary disorder that causes my blood to clot easily. I've had clots in both legs multiple times and am supposed to wear compression stockings to keep my legs and ankles from swelling. I honestly can't imagine someone wearing them if they didn't have to!!!! I buy Jobst or Sygvaris and yes, they are expensive! Insurance used to cover them for me but not anymore.
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's not like they are made by Chanel or something...

LOL!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I bought the compression shorts for $20! I don't know WHERE you could have seen them for $200??? That is insane!!! I get them to wear under my regular shorts so nobody sees my underwear when I am on the floor. They also wick the sweat away from your body and prevent chafing in between my thighs. They are worth $20 but not $200!!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a hereditary disorder that causes my blood to clot easily. I've had clots in both legs multiple times and am supposed to wear compression stockings to keep my legs and ankles from swelling. I honestly can't imagine someone wearing them if they didn't have to!!!! I buy Jobst or Sygvaris and yes, they are expensive! Insurance used to cover them for me but not anymore.

You are talking about stockings. These are compression shorts. They are different.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options

You are talking about stockings. These are compression shorts. They are different.
    The OP is talking about stockings, too. ;)
  • zeeeb
    Options
    I don't even wear leggins, my thighs are not quite leggin ready just yet... but i was astounded at the price, and figured it was just a new marketing thing... sure if i had a medical need for them, fine, but $200 for gear to sweat in is out of control... shoes are worth it, but not leggins..
  • sdtrimom
    sdtrimom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have some 2xu compression tights... LOVE THEM! I am a cyclist/triathlete and will wear them after hard workout or races. I signed up for a race the day after a century ride (oops) and wore them after my ride and my legs felt completely fresh and ready to race the next day. I'm not sure if they really "work" or if it is in my head and acts as a placebo... either way it was money well spent for me :-) LOVE them. And as a reference I paid $90 usd.