Starting today...

Options
BradWoj
BradWoj Posts: 17 Member
Hi everyone, my name is Brad. I'd like to lose 60 pounds in time for my wedding next October (2012). Also, I have a 1-year-old son who is just on the verge of walking, and I know I'm going to need all the energy I can get to keep up with him.

I've been overweight my whole life, except for a brief period in high school when I tried the Atkins diet and got down to 180 (obliterating most of my muscle mass in the process, which made the weight come back fast and furious when I couldn't stand to eat just meat any more). I go through these phases where I completely ignore the fact that I'm overweight, hiding from mirrors, keeping my shirt on as much as possible, and stuffing my face with impunity. Then, the day comes where I have to face the facts, and I look for a new way to lose the weight.

That's today. A gym membership is too costly (and, realistically, too humiliating for me), so I'm sticking to walks with the baby and exercises I can do in the house. I'm staying under 1700 calories, and cutting out alcohol (no big deal) and caffeine (ouch). My fiancee is still in the process of losing the pregnancy weight (30 pounds so far!) and is incredibly supportive and awesome.

Still, I could use all the friends and support I can get. Anyone?

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to support you. I have a similar story like yours where you mentioned (obliterating most of my muscle mass in the process, which made the weight come back fast and furious...). I was down to 200 back in 2004..huge drop for me from 240. Except, it all came back and I ballooned up to 255. Problem was, I hid behind the acceptance from my husband that I was beautiful. but, I want to have kids next year and that is my motivation; I will not be this way for them and carry them in an unhealthy body. Feel free to add me for support! :-)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you're really commited to this add me up any time.

I also started by walking and have just completed week 4 of C25K, you should have a look on that program (couch to 5Km) it is great for people starting.

Welcome and Enjoy.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's not realistic for me to join a gym either since I'm at home with my 2 kids all the time so everything I do is from home as well
  • BradWoj
    BradWoj Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Skeebee! I thought losing all that weight without exercising was too good to be true - it was. My fiancee is the same way, telling me I look good even when I'm at my heaviest. Makes me fat, be I wouldn't like the alternative...

Fastbelly, I'll definitely check out C25K. I've heard of it, and it sounds like it's right up my alley.

Also, I wanted to put this question out there: I'm a breadman, so I'm in a truck all morning. I've been going to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast pretty much every day for the past year, and that needs to stop. Anyone have any tips for breakfast foods I can keep in the truck? Apples just seem to make me more hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I know the feeling as my story is much the same until the weight caught up with me in serious health problem, now in the past thankfully. I did all my exercise at home and outside of a gym. There is tones of stuff you can do. I started with Tae-bo since I had the videos already, but now I do a bunch of other stuff as well for exercise. You can take it off and keep it off although it will take changing your lifestyle. Welcome again.
  • momof2inMD
    momof2inMD Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome! :) I'm new on here too and I'm a firm believer that you don't need a gym membership to lose weight. There are plenty of ways to do it right at home. That's what I did before to lose and that's what I'm doing now to get back on track. I'd be happy to friend you if you'd like. We need all the support we can get! Best of luck to you:)
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Welcome to MFP..I recommend all moms and dads to check out Dustin Mahers Fit Moms for Life! He has some great workouts that will benefit both of you. He has one called BABYTONE..its a workout you do using your child. Best of Luck! Add me if you would like.