40 year old newbie with questions!!:)

Options
First of all, I am loving this site! I've been using it for a month and am starting to see some real results! It's helped me break through some serious weight-loss burnout and I have hope that I just may reach my goals!

Just some basic info about me: I turned 40 this year, I'm married, had four kids in seven years, ages 3-11. The fourth one really did a number on me and I'm hoping to regain something of my former figure!! :) My weight has been the focus of my life for over twenty years. My genetics do not help but fortunately, I learned early to eat healthy. In some ways, I know too much about nutrition/exercise in that I try to incorporate too much and end up giving up! But I've put out too much effort just to stop now.

I'm sure my questions are not new and I would appreciate some links to pertinent threads if available.

1) What is an NSV?
2) I'm a huge Cathe Freidrich fan but am seriously considering the Turbo Fire series. Even though I have around 35 pounds to lose, I'm in rather good cardiovascular shape. Will it be challenging enough to warrant the expense?
3) I'm woefully ignorant about heart monitors- I usually just check my pulse periodically to make sure it's above 150 bpm. What other benefits would a HRM offer?

OK, I know I had other questions but my mind just blanked! But, above all, I just need friends and support!!

Thanks for "listening"! :):)

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Glad that you are enjoying the site. . .

NSV= Non scale victory. .

Beach body videos. . would encourage you to go for it. . All their series are great. . I have Slim in 6, Turbo Jam and 10 min trainers. . . I want to get turbo fire and Insanity. . .

HRMs are great for accurately measuring your calorie burn and making sure YES that you are within your target heartrate. . They are really advantageous to have in that everyones body composition is different and burns at a different rate. . This will allow you to really track what you are burning vs what you are taking in. . .

I would recommend a polar f4 or f7. .. Right now I have a Sportline through walmart which is less expensive and works great. . Make sure that you get one equiped with a chest strap as this will give you the most accurate reading.

Best of luck in your fitness journey.
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!