When did it actually hit you?

So, I've been on this site for almost three months. In total, before and during the site, I've lost 55lbs and to be honest, I can't really tell. I still feel like I'm as big as I once was. I can tell in my clothes and the numbers on the scale, but as far as looking in the mirror, I still look the same to me. So for those of you who have met your goal or are just shy of meeting you goal, did it just hit you out of nowhere that you really look different? Does the mentality ever go away that you used to be fat? Thanks! :)

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    I felt this way when I lost. I went from 247 to 143 in about 18 months time. I still seen a 240lb. person. And because of that, I gained about 30lbs. back because I wasn't confident enough to see the beautiful person that stood before me. I think I'll always have the fat girl mentality, but even though I'm down 10lbs. and aiming to go even lower than I was before I have the confidence to go with it because I KNOW I look great. I just wish someone would have told me I have to work on the mental part as much as the physical part when you lose weight.
  • shariklasse
    shariklasse Posts: 5 Member
    Well I'm on my second round of weight loss. I did it once before and maintained my goal weight for 2 years. During that time I still really never noticed how much different I looked to others. I could tell that I didn't hate the way my clothes fit but that was about the only difference. Now when I see pictures from a couple of years back I'm shocked at how great I looked. I'm hoping that now this time around I can appreciate the differences and keep the weight off! Congrats on your weight loss makes me feel motivated to make it happen for me.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I've lost 139 pounds. Most days, I can't really see any difference at all.

But, one day I went to the bathroom at IHOP, saw myself in the mirror, and cried for ten minutes. I didn't recognize myself, and it was really scary.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Well, I've been doing this since Janurary this year. Today was the first day that I glimpsed myself in the mirror and thought I looked a little thinner. It was a real shocker - I didn't expect it at all.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    I have lost 22lbs and I still see the same me. Everytime I step out of the shower i just wanna punch my mirror, who needs one anyway?! I step on the scale and I haven't gained any weight back....as of now I am working to not gain any weight, but not lose because I just found out I'm pregnant (yay! ;]) Before I made a picture of all the pictures I hate seeing of myself being my heaviest....and I made one of where I want to be again....I have them both set to my computer background so I see them every day and can say I do look better. Even if I don't see myself looking better I know my life style has changed for the better .;]
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    I've lost 139 pounds. Most days, I can't really see any difference at all.

But, one day I went to the bathroom at IHOP, saw myself in the mirror, and cried for ten minutes. I didn't recognize myself, and it was really scary.
    Yes. I too find that looking at yourself in a mirror that you don't see every day helps.