anyone else too hard on themselves??

I'm down 40 pounds...40 more to go and I am so hard on myself every dday. Each weigh in...even with a loss... isn't good enough. Every food check in isn't healthy enough and my progress is going to slow. How do you get out of a rut like this?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    alas, I am the opposite, too easy on myself.:embarassed:

Is your strictness causing you some kind of trouble? If not, just keep it up! You can rest when you get to maintenance :happy:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    * treat yourself once awhile
    * have a meal (like once a week) that you eat whatever you like (I'll still watch portion size, otherwise I feel too stuffed and got very uncomfortable).
    * reward yourself something for reaching a mini-goal (I don't have it but many people here set mini-goals)
    * enjoy the healthy food because they are much more tasty.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    The only trouble it causes me is anxiety and stress. I log every little bite of food I put in my mouth...which is good and helpful, but if I have something that is not so healthy, it ruins my day.
    2 days ago I went over my daily calories for the first time since January. I was so mad at myself and felt like a failure. I know it's really no big deal if it's a day here or there, but for me it was a huge deal and even though I lost a pound this week i'm still focusing on that one day I screwed up. I hate to be a negative nancy....and other than this anxiety and stress I'm an upbeat, energetic and bubbly person and I hate being brought down by such an unnecessary feeling.
    help please...
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    I am the exact same boat. I dont have the magic answer for you. I try to set mini-goals for myself and the helps some. I think I put too high of expectations on myself. I think one of the biggest keys is remembering you are worth it and deserve to be celebrated. :)
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Please watch yourself, that type of over obsessing and food anxiety is not to far from becoming an eating disorder. Food should not be the center or main focus of your life. I dont have an answer for you, I just wanted to say that because i have a friend who was so obsessive about food that she struggled everyday, and it eventually turned into a disorder, which took therapy to help her sort out. I pray that doesnt happen for you. You should be proud of yourself, 40 lbs is an amazing accomplishment, and your should give yourself a pat on the back. A day over every once in a while is not a bad thing.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    My strictless leads to undereating.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Sometimes it's hard to see the progress when you look in the mirror and only see the journey ahead.

Forty pounds!! That's huge!! Congrats on the achievement!!

I lost nearly 30 and would love to lose 30 more. I'm 50% there like you. I've hit a slump, but I am maintaing a good diet. I agree that you need to "reward" yourself once in a while with something you love - in moderation of course. For me, it's Mexican food. Last excursion was tasty and good. Didn't blow a thing, didn't gain anything.

My clothes - already hemmed once, now needing hemming again. if I don't wear a belt I'm flashing everyone! LOL. Look at where you've been. Look at an old piece of clothing or an old picture. The difference is there. The difference is huge! Your hard work paying off. I'd love to be 140 like now, but it is a journey to a new life style. We are half way there! Don't give up and don't be frustrated.

Look in the mirror and see the progress. See the beautiful person you are. If you "slip up" on the diet area - don't sweat it. Just get back on track. If you slack in exercise - it's ok. Just try to motivate yourself to do it the next day. Park further down in the parking lot to gain more exercise, etc.. I've not exercised in a while - I need lots of motivation there! lol. Don't like to sweat.

Tale it one day at a time. In the words of Journey: Be good to yourself ... you ARE worth it and YOU have come this far on your own!! You will achieve your goal!

Would love to be a friend and source of encouragement!
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Please watch yourself, that type of over obsessing and food anxiety is not to far from becoming an eating disorder. Food should not be the center or main focus of your life. I dont have an answer for you, I just wanted to say that because i have a friend who was so obsessive about food that she struggled everyday, and it eventually turned into a disorder, which took therapy to help her sort out. I pray that doesnt happen for you. You should be proud of yourself, 40 lbs is an amazing accomplishment, and your should give yourself a pat on the back. A day over every once in a while is not a bad thing.

Thank you for caring! I worry about it too, which is why I thought if I actually saw what I was feeling I'd realize how ridiculous I am being. It does take over my days. It takes away from a lot of fun i could have and my kids notice and comment on my "dieting" often.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Don't mention it! I hope things get easier for you! Awareness is good. You are aware of everything you put in your mouth. You just need to trust yourself to make the best choices. once you trust yourself, hopefully you wont be so obsessive. Without knowing you personally, it sounds like you are far away from the person you used to be, the person who had 80 lbs to lose. Yoru halfway there, congrats!