tv dinners for weight loss

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
Has anybody lost weight on eating TV dinners such as kean cusine or Smart ones?

Replies

• katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat them frequently!! I actually had a healthy choice meal for dinner tonight!
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They aren't the best choice but you can definitely lose weight using them. A lot of them are very high in sodium if that matters to you. I have an occasional one for lunch but that is about it.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I see them in peoples diaries all the time. Too much sodium for me, personally. But I usually keep one in the freezer for when I just don't feel like making food.

Remember when they came in metal trays and you made them in the oven? I can't remember how I lived when I didn't have a microwave.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    NO! Too full of sodium and not really satisfying. Better to learn to cook good foods healthfully! Most sustainable...... this is not a race but a lifestyle :)
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    I buy them when they're on sale. You'd be surprised how few calories some of them have -- even ones that aren't labeled as "light" or anything. Sometimes I get the mac & cheese ones (but make sure they're lower than 300 cals) and make a meat and veggie with them for a whole meal. It saves time and it's delicious.
  • lgrace42
    lgrace42 Posts: 2
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones for lunch and dinner every day and still lose weight. My nutritionist said they aren't the best because of the sodium, but they are ok.
  • Washingtonian
    Options
    I probably have one each week for dinner......and watch my sodium the rest of the day.
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also keep 1-2 in the freezer for when I don't want to cook / have few calories but am craving something specific (so many types!!)
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to eat them occasionally, but I limit to lunch time at work. It's just quick. And I find the steamer meals are the best and usually contain more veggies and less sodium than some of the non-steamer options. Healthy choice is my favorite. I've been losing while eating them, but I only have them a few times a week for lunch.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Definitely high in sodium which is a trouble spot for me. But you just have to read the labels carefully and make good choices. I usually eat a few per week for lunch at work, etc.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisines are actually pretty good as far as sodium goes - much better than eating out!
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them sometimes, but it is a small amount of food. I always have to have a veggie or a fruit on the side.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Well, process food is just not good for you. When we get to older age, we won't be able to eat as much and the best way to keep healthy is that every bit you eat should be nutritious food.

To enjoy a healthier weight lose and lifestyle, try:
    * eat whole food
    * enjoy more fruit and vegetable
    * eat lean protein
    * portion size, portion size, portion size
    * exercises (especially strength training, which not great for weight lose, but help with stronger bones and less bone mass lost)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I buy them when they're on sale. You'd be surprised how few calories some of them have -- even ones that aren't labeled as "light" or anything. Sometimes I get the mac & cheese ones (but make sure they're lower than 300 cals) and make a meat and veggie with them for a whole meal. It saves time and it's delicious.
    But what about the Fat & Sodium levels, also some have shared the amount of veggies etc. aren't a full portion, same as protein.

I'm sure a once in a while a frozen meal won't harm anyone but anymore than once in a while seems like it'd have the opposite effect on creating a healthy lifestyle change.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I eat lean cuisine all the time. I'm aware they can be high in sodium so I watch my sodium the rest of the day. So far I've lost 24 pounds and I eat lean cuisine at least 5 times a week for dinner. I add broccoli or spinach to it to make it stretch. It's a nice meal. The raviolis are awesome. So isn't the salmon basil.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    YES!

i ate 2 lean cuisines every day for at least 4 months. I also ate other things with them, usually a sandwich and a fiber one bar.

i don't eat them any more, but they were incredibly helpful to me in the beginning.
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Options
    I pick them up for lunch occasionally if I don't feel like packing lunch before work. They're super-high in sodium, though, so watch your intake for the rest of the day!

There was a time in college where I would buy them on sale and eat them for lunch and dinner everyday... I was super skinny!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them for lunch all the time. I had a nice little thermos bowl to take to school, so I just warmed up a Lean Cuisine in the morning, scooped into the thermos, and ate a slice or two of bread on the side. :) It was the only thing that kept me full back then. Every now and then I'll have a TV dinner, but instead of bread, I add a side of canned vegetables or something. The Lean Cusine steam bags are VERY good... The macaroni and beef has to be my favorite though, followed by Sante Fe Rice and Beans (that might be Smart Ones, I'm not sure at the moment) Oh, and Smart Ones has incredible desserts!!! :D

So, nope, nothing wrong with TV dinners. Sodium smodium. Who gives a hoot? Unless your doctor has told you that you need to be tracking sodium, don't. It stresses people out WAY too much.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The way you lose weight should be more careful and different than many younger people here.

A great reading "Senior Weight Loss":
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/244694-senior-weight-loss/
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat the Lean Cuisine Market Creation steamer meals for lunch during the week.. buy like 5 of them keep them in the freezer at work.. they're not bad and I normally add some fruit to also balance them out.. I feel full and the calories are low.