Pork, red or white meat?

Options
ANeWcRe8N
ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
Ok the question came up from a friend and it got me wondering.. is pork considered red or white meat. I know some ppl refer to pork as "the other white meat" but its red before cooked so I'm just confused as to which is the right answer. Anyone?:huh:

Replies

• tsolomon75
    tsolomon75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pork is considered a red meat. In the mid 80's, when health-conscience consumers decided that red meat was unhealthy, the pork industry lost sales dramatically. In an effort to regain lost ground, the Pork Council started a catchy an attractive campaign ("The other white meat") in 1987. The campaign worked--the demand for pork quickly rose.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Pork is considered red meat because it comes from a mammal, even though it cooks lighter than beef.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Red and delicious !
  • ANeWcRe8N
    Options
    funny you guys say red.. my friend asked the question on her FB page and ppl commented that is white lol.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    white!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    Options
    Pork is considered a red meat. In the mid 80's, when health-conscience consumers decided that red meat was unhealthy, the pork industry lost sales dramatically. In an effort to regain lost ground, the Pork Council started a catchy an attractive campaign ("The other white meat") in 1987. The campaign worked--the demand for pork quickly rose.

Thank you! :wink:
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The USDA considers it red meat:
    Why is pork a "red" meat?
    Oxygen is delivered to muscles by the red cells in the blood. One of the proteins in meat, myoglobin, holds the oxygen in the muscle. The amount of myoglobin in animal muscles determines the color of meat. Pork is classified a "red" meat because it contains more myoglobin than chicken or fish. When fresh pork is cooked, it becomes lighter in color, but it is still a red meat. Pork is classed as "livestock" along with veal, lamb and beef. All livestock are considered "red meat."

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Pork_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I read this article yesterday - pork is included

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/6-surprising-foods-health-benefits/slide/3
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think it is still considered red but I too have heard that it is supposed to be "the other white meat". If you eat pork loin and grill it, it is still less than some red meats. I just try to eat mainly chicken and turkey.

Good luck!