when temptation strikes...

Options
Hey everyone! I'm still very new to this site, but I absolutely love it so far! I have a question concerning temptation and how to counteract it. When I have nothing to tempt me, I'm ok...I usually have OK will power and can power through the temptation by distracting myself. But my sister just came home for a visit and brought a whole bunch of candy and other treats with her. I am a huge sucker for candy, and will eat it even when I'm not hungry! I usually feel so bad about eating the junk food, but I keep eating it anyways. She is also a huge candy fan but can restrain herself from eating the entire bag (but I can't sadly). Do you have any tips and suggestions on how I can keep a strong willpower and not break? Any help would be awesome!

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Stock up on berries/fruit for the visit, when you go for candy redirect for the fridge and have something that is sweet but better for you.

Have a piece of candy on your way out the door. It's okay to indulge (plenty of people on here eat chocolate everyday), but don't go over.

Retrain the way you think about candy/food, do research on what is IN the candy you are eating (every chocolate bar is allowed by USDA to have up to 8 spider legs in it).

Take a jog/walk when you want to have a piece of candy, maybe do jumping jacks.

Tell your sister to hide the candy in her suitcase.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Temptation is one of those obstacles we all face...especially when TOM is in town. I've learned to get rid of the things that might tempt me, drink lots of water, and usually have a big bag of carrots on hand. I know its not the best tasting thing but it actually is quite filling for very little calories. Stay strong and make sure to keep your eyes on the goal :flowerforyou:
  • overachieving
    Options
    If I'm craving something that's I probably shouldn't be eating (especially something like candy that doesn't get you full!), I will drink a lot of water first. Like, drink water until you're just slightly uncomfortable. This reminds me what it feels like to over-eat. The discomfort is distracting (keeping me from immediately scarfing down all the candy) but it also passes pretty quickly.

And if I still want the candy after that, then I have a few pieces because I know that I must really want it and feeling deprived never helps me in the long run.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Log it. Stare at it in your log. Think about how many other things you could eat with the same calories. You already said "I usually feel so bad about eating the junk food". Is it worth it? If it is, eat it. If it's not, don't. The power is in your choice, not the candy.