I've lost 11 pounds but I don't understand...

Options
why I haven't lost a single inch... anywhere!!!! I took my measurements on Day 1 (6 weeks ago) and this morning, and there is no change. This is really frustrating. I look the same and my clothes are definitely not looser... I actually feel like they are tighter sometimes! I'm not giving up or even thinking about it, but can someone please give me some insight on this?

I workout 6 days a week. Usually I do an hour on my elliptical machine and jog outside. I also do drink a lot of water, but I do not log it. My diary is public. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I do strength training 3x a week :)

Replies

• Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding in some strength training? That will help with toning and changing your shape. :)
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You may have lost a little bit all over, so it won't really show much in inches.
  • rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You need to do strength training!
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    You GOTTA lift. Strength training CRUSHES the inches.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is like the Anti-problem. If you have alot of fat to lose it may take awhile for your measurements to show the actual pounds lost. Also it might have been some water weight that you lost. I'll be interested in hearing others comment on this. Good question.

edit: Ok, should have looked at your diary first. Sodium, you are right at your max but if you are sensitive to sodium like I am, you could be retaining fluids making you "puffy". Just a thought.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Strength train, strength train, strength train! For great results, amazing curves/shape and muscles, ditch doing cardio 6x week. You're wasting your time. If you do want to do cardio, try doing HITT intervals, or circuit training, and for the rest of your days, hit the weights girl! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when all I did was cardio, but as soon as I started doing strength training too - I saw a HUGE change in my body.

Strength training is how to make it look leaner, more toned, etc. Just doing cardio is a great way to burn fat - but you need to build muscle too or you'll be thin but look "skinny fat" (meaning no muscle tone).

Also, looked at your diary - you might want to try having less calories leftover each day. You had 1 day with over 600 left and another with over 400 left. I think if you try eating more of your calories - you'll probably see more of a loss too.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^yes to interval training.^^^^^
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary and it appears that you are over on your sodium goal on most days. Even on days you list "quick add calories", my guess is that you are over on sodium. This will bloat you up and may cause you to retain a lot of water. This could explain why you have lost weight but aren't losing inches. Clothes will feel tight during this time as well. Make improvements to your food choices, drink plenty of water and lower your sodium. It is my guess that you will lose inches quickly. Good luck!
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    Could be muscle replacing fat int he area. Don't let it get you down. Switch up your routines. I'd suggest weight lifting... I think it would help a lot. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns. Obviously don't over do it, but adding a bit here and there could really help.

I lost about 15 lbs before I started seeing significant loss... it was mostly water weight and actually was my face thinning out a bit. Now that I'm past 25 and 30 lbs, I can see my stomach shrinking a lot... (my pictures have my belt markings where I've lost 4 inches. ha) Good luck to you. :D
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    you cant really tell you hit 20+, others will see it at 30
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and still hadn't lost a single inch. I have no clue where I lost it from. Absolutely maddening! Especially when so many people say ditch the scale and use a tape measure. I just kept it up. Now I'm shrinking but I'm not doing that measuring thing anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    why I haven't lost a single inch... anywhere!!!! I took my measurements on Day 1 (6 weeks ago) and this morning, and there is no change. This is really frustrating. I look the same and my clothes are definitely not looser... I actually feel like they are tighter sometimes! I'm not giving up or even thinking about it, but can someone please give me some insight on this?

I workout 6 days a week. Usually I do an hour on my elliptical machine and jog outside. I also do drink a lot of water, but I do not log it. My diary is public. Thanks in advance!

You probably lost most of your weight from water. I could comment more if I knew your height and age and current weight.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight, it took almost 10 pounds or so until it started to show. I swear, one night I was the same size and 10 pounds lighter and the next day, my body felt and looked different. Sometimes it takes awhile for your body to respond. And I second strength training!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Work the torso, setups, cruches, and a few oblique exercises. I never saw any difference until I lost 30 lbs. But then I had to lose 165 lbs.

One sure thing is, how do your clothes fit?

Best wishes on your journey. 11 pounds is a great start.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I Cant really the see the strength training in your exercise diary.....the one time you logged you only did 10 minutes - that is not strengh training.... you need a good 45 minute to 60 minute session at least 2 to 3 times a week - where you really push yourself - it does not help to do a few lifts with "barbie weights" and say I am doing strength training (sorry but that is the honest truth!!)

To really see changes to your body you need to push - and work hard at it - and trust me you will see it!!
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 lbs and haven't seen any changes either. We just have to be patient! It can be a lot of different things. You might be still losing water weight or replacing the fat with muscle.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options

You probably lost most of your weight from water. I could comment more if I knew your height and age and current weight.

25 yrs old, 5'7", CW: 227.6 :) Thanks
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It can depend on your body size. For example I'm a big girl, so it takes more weight loss for it to show up. Seeing from your signature that you want to lose about 100lbs, that might be part of the deal - the proportion of weight lost just isn't enough to have a visible effect.

Also, remember weight isn't really the best thing to go by. There are a lot of things that go into what you weigh, like others have hinted at: water weight, bowel contents, tummy contents, muscle, bone, the rest of your organs...So there may just be the water weight issue.

I personally think tracking body fat % is a better thing than weight because that's what you want to lose - not simply "weight" since "weight" includes muscle quite often. Measuring and weight I think should just be used as another feel good point.

At any rate, be proud of moving in a forward direction and working on being healthier. There are some useful tips in previous posts. Please don't let this get you down.
  • sqvash
    sqvash Posts: 17
    Options
    I've only lost 10 pounds since I joined the gym, but I've lost quite a few inches (1 inch off my upper arms, almost an inch off each thigh, 1 1/2 off my belly button, and 1 1/2 off my hips), and it's due to lifting 2-3 days per week. However, STICK WITH THE CARDIO! You're not wasting your time. Overall weight loss comes from cardio, but the "shapeliness" will come from lifting weights along side the cardio. I tend to go easy on the cardio (30 minutes give or take) on days I lift. If you're doing elliptical or arc trainer your legs will tone up without the weights.

I do agree with keeping your sodium in check, especially combined with summer heat that can keep one looking poofy. Every body is built differently and will show change differently. Just keep working and one day you'll see a picture of yourself and say "holy crap I didn't know I had gotten that small!"

So I guess what I'm saying is...keep up the good work!!! Throw in some weights a couple days a week. The bottom line is, if you keep losing pounds you'll get smaller. It's kind of a law of nature. The weights will help you see that sooner, and make you more shapely in the end.