Staying on track while on holiday?

ok I've got 5 weeks today until I go to Mexico for two weeks, I'm starting to panic a bit about the all inclusive bit lol
I'm taking my gym stuff with me and have every intension of spending alot of time swimming/walking during the days.
Having not been to cancun before I don't know what the food choices will be, I'm sure there should be some healthy choices as I suppose they have to cater for everybody!

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to stay on track while away? It's my birthday while we are there so I'll allow myself a day off there I think! We won't have the children with us so I'll be able to do what I want when I want in terms of exercise etc.

Replies

• kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Anyone?
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    I just joined MFP in June, but I've noticed that when I eat out, the food has a minimum 2 to 3 times more fat/calories than what I prepare at home. So if I were you, I'd use the same strategies you've been using when you eat out. For me that would entail only eating 1/2, sharing, or ordering a salad/appetizer rather than a full meal. I try to drink at least 1 glass of water for every adult beverage & if I'm going to indulge I try to limit to either alcohol or sweets in one day rather than both.
    That said, 2 weeks won't be your undoing & you'll probably be getting extra exercise swimming, sight seeing, etc.
    Have an awesome time in Mexico! I've never taken a trip without my children, and that sounds glorious!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    My advice would be to stay active, eat in moderation and don't sweat it. You'll probably gain a little while your in Mexico but as long as you stick to your basic eating habits you should be able to jump right back on and take any weight gained off when you get back home. I wouldn't let thoughts of going off track ruin my vacation. Use common sense and watch your portions even you're not eating the most diet friendly foods. I gained 6 lbs on my last vacation and had lost 4 of it 3 or 4 days after I got back home and the rest was gone by the following week and I didn't regret it one bit. It was a good trip:)
  • Katschau
    Katschau Posts: 6 Member
    If you drink, watch the all inclusive drinks for adding sugar. Stay to low cal drinks and you won't get hidden calories when they add simple syrup or even sweetened milk which some do. Enjoy your vacation and use it for added motivation before and when you get back.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    As someone who pretty much ate and drank her way through her St. Lucia resort and used the gym every day, I can say you will likely gain weight. I gained between 4-6 pds, but I don't really "regret" them. Our vacation cost us a fortune and we were there to celebrate our anniversary and enjoy some time away from the kids. Mission accomplished. :wink:

I think you should focus on enjoying your vacation, remembering your water and trying to watch your portions. In Cancun, you'll basically have the same as every other buffet, all-you-can-eat resorts. The choices are yours and if you do end up gaining weight, it won't be there forever.

Have a great vacation!
  • laa0889
    laa0889 Posts: 4 Member
    I recommend when eating out to stick with grilled meat or chicken and lots od vegetables and salad. Can't go wrong with that and most restaurants will prepare it even if not on the menu. For breakfasts most hotels have oatmeal or you can get an egg white omlette. Even a regular omlette isnt bad if there is nothing else. White wine isnt bad on the calories. You can eat, have fun ane enjoy your trip without sacrificing your goals. But also do allow yourself a couple of treats to sample local cuisine. You are right on track with preplanning and preparing and continuing to exercise. You will do great, have fun!