Found some old pictures, absolutely disgusted

Options
99clmsntgr
99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
(Posted this on another forum, figured I'd share here, too)

August 2008. The picture that pseudo-started it. Me @ 340 pounds, fooling myself with the "well, I'm not that fat..." attitude. Uh...yeah I was.
2008-08-16_yikes.JPG

Flash forward 2 years (there's not that many pictures of me. Really...). After 2 years of only half-serious dieting then the wife getting preggers with #2 which threw any real attempt at a diet out the window (bad, bad excuse, I know), here's last year's July 4th 5K @ 270-275 pounds. At the time I was giving a half-effort toward running, was struggling around a 11 minute mile for a 5K race, only slightly better for just a mile.
921937761_img_2996.jpg

Flash forward one more year. Something in January clicked. I was stuck at 275 pounds, but my wife decided to lose the baby weight, which helped refocus me on fitness, I joined MFP and started religiously logging my food intake. Started working out more and started getting serious about running. Here's not-so-fat Jason at the July 4th 5K this year @ 210 pounds.
2011-07-04_finish%252520line.jpg

Yes, ran that at an 8:52 per mile. Just recently the Fitness Camp that is sponsored by my company's HR department finished up. As part of the camp you do a first week and last week mile time trial. I went from 8:22 to a 7:33 and finished 3rd in the camp (which is weird to me, by the way).

Friday morning I stepped on the scale before my 4.5 mile run and it said "203.4 pounds, 21.1% body fat." I don't remember when I last weighed this little. Probably 6th 7th grade. Along the way I've gone from a XXXL shirt to comfortably in an XL and on the verge of just a L. I've gone from 48-inch waist pants down to 34 inch waist. My blood pressure has dropped thru the floor, my cholesterol is low and I'm no longer on the watch for all the bad weight-related diseases. My knees and ankles don't hurt any more, I can do pushups again (although I still struggle with this one) and I can keep up with my kids. In October I'm running the second leg of the Disney half-marathon relay (8.33 miles) and in February I get to run with ~10,000 women (and about 2,000 men) at the Princess half-marathon. And, not sure if this is sad or not, I can't wait.

The only thing I wish is that I could go back in time, slap the **** out of high school and college Jason. I wish I understood then what I understand now about eating (not just how much, but what my body prefers for fuel), exercising and just how flat-out bad I was living my life.

Replies

• alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You look great!
  • edward1973
    edward1973 Posts: 67
    Options
    amazing story - well done - must feel almost like a different person. Think we all wish we could impart some wisdom to our younger selves to make better choices.

Good Man - keep it up!! :-D
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! I had the same attitude thinking 'I'm not THAT FAT!' You've just inspired me to get serious - THANK YOU!!
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    :smile: wow....!!!! comes to mind!
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    OMG!!!!! You are hot!! Awesome job!
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great story! You look amazing.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Wonderful work! How inspiring!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In the second picture, the guy in the blue shirt directly behind you is my half sister's father. I participated in the race shown in the third picture (I was away at school last year so I couldn't participate). I would've been on the sidelines waiting for my sister when you crossed, but I don't see myself... Unrelated, but I won my age group for this race haha.

You're doing great btw!
  • djenvy
    djenvy Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Amazing - you look like a completely different person :happy:
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No way! You look awesome and I'm sure you feel awesome too! Congratulations!!!
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! fantastic job!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful, heartwarming story and INCREDIBLE transformation!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! You look fantastic!!
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow- just amazing! Good for you that it clicked in! Your body must feel so amazing and fuctional! Eek..your first pics...sad that we try to convince ourselves that we are not "that fat". Pictures are great for that. You're a great Father showing your kids what living really is!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a fantastic difference! You look like a new guy!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You lost a person! That is great! Good luck at your upcoming races!
  • shanefg
    shanefg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well done mate amazing stuff
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What a transformation. You need to know where to truly appreciate and be thankful for what you have accomplished. You set the goal to be healthy, and YOU DID IT. Very motivating for those who think this is just a quick fix. It is a life long dedication and commitment.

You Do a Body Good. !!!!
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! You look great.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!