strength training exercises to target "the mommy pouch"

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for me?? I've tried crunches but don't feel they work for me. Your help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can't 'spot reduce' fat. Crunches will help build abs but not burn the fat around them..

Bodyweight exercises such as pushups, squats, dips and pullups require no equipment and work your largest muscles and in turn burn the most fat. They also strengthen your whole body. In time the more total muscle you have and energy you use will get rid of your mummy pouch
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Jam, Ab jam and that works for me
  • Lolaandmasonsmommy
    Options
    Thanks!!! :)
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    It's taken me years to get mine flat, but I'm happy because I didn't think it was possible. It's a combination of a good diet, cardio, strength training and of course, ab/core exercises. Be patient - it's such a problem area for women, even those without children.

But, I highly recommend planks. Look them up - you can do all sorts of variations of them.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Find an alternative way to do ab workouts (reverse crunches, yoga ball crunches, medicina ball workouts)! My pouch is just about gone. A few months ago I asked the same question because I had lost weight and toned everywhere but couldnt get rid of the pouch. I stuck with the cardio (5-6 days a week, atleast 30 minutes on elliptical or treadmill) and really upped my ab and core workouts and it has helped. its probably a combo of both. i HATE crunches also, but have found alternative ways to do them and I force myself to do them EVERYDAY! My gym also has a good ab machine which i also use everyday. my pouch is almost gone, I am actually not ashamed to wear a bikini anymore.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's taken me years to get mine flat, but I'm happy because I didn't think it was possible. It's a combination of a good diet, cardio, strength training and of course, ab/core exercises. Be patient - it's such a problem area for women, even those without children.

But, I highly recommend planks. Look them up - you can do all sorts of variations of them.

I agree, planks are great for your core. Also, mountain climbers. Google them.
  • Lolaandmasonsmommy
    Options
    I will do that!! Thanks everyone!!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    First of all think of it as a badge of honor. You're a mommy! Then you need to understand that getting rid of a mommy pooch might not be something that is attainable for you. The women in my family do hot have flat stomachs, but they don't exercise like I do! I think it's really important to be at peace with the fact there may always be a little pooch there but with A LOT of hard work you can minimize it significantly. The only way to do that is to do lots of cardio to burn the fat and core strengthening to develop the muscles. Also, eating a combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats will help properly fuel your body for your workouts.
    Other that that you've got to give it time. Your belly didn't get big overnight and it won't be pooch free overnight either. I hope I helped. Good luck!