Calorie Question

Options
So I find myself trying to hoard my calories so that I have enough during the day in case I get really hungry. But then at the end of the night, I have like 600-700 calories that I haven't eaten yet! I was just wondering how many calories you all eat per meal? I am trying to get used to counting everything, and getting a good balance. It's only been like 5 days since I started, so I'm new to this! Thank in advance for any suggestions :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So I find myself trying to hoard my calories so that I have enough during the day in case I get really hungry. But then at the end of the night, I have like 600-700 calories that I haven't eaten yet! I was just wondering how many calories you all eat per meal? I am trying to get used to counting everything, and getting a good balance. It's only been like 5 days since I started, so I'm new to this! Thank in advance for any suggestions :flowerforyou:
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    I space my calories out throughout the day. Typically I would eat

300 calories for breakfast
    300 calories for lunch
    200 calorie snack
    500 Calorie dinner
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    That sounds like a great balance! I think my problem is that I love to snack at night (not after 8pm) but still =/
    I space my calories out throughout the day. Typically I would eat

300 calories for breakfast
    300 calories for lunch
    200 calorie snack
    500 Calorie dinner
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be waiting to get really hungry just like you shouldn't be eating past the point of satisfaction. It doesn't aid in losing weight. Just eat in regular intervals to keep your blood sugar level and maintain a healthy deficit.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    You shouldn't be waiting to get really hungry just like you shouldn't be eating past the point of satisfaction. It doesn't aid in losing weight. Just eat in regular intervals to keep your blood sugar level and maintain a healthy deficit.

Easier said than done I guess :frown: I need to work on it! :)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal in the morning with a chocolate milk (only because I have to take a vitamin but i need to get a lower calorie chocolate milk:tongue: )

then at lunch i eat a salad with 1.5oz of dressing which totals 230 calories

then at dinner i have whatever i prepare for me and the kids

I used to have snacks and stuff but I found myself munching and going over my calories every single day :explode: :mad: :noway:

I eat enough to fill me up but not stuff me (so high fiber/protein) which is better than me trying to find ways to eat 5-6 meals a day and go over my calories--
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try to pack little bags of veggies and nuts so that all day when you feel a hunger pain you have them already bagged and you will know exactly what calories you are eating.
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    I like to snack at night as well....but if I space my calories throughout the day, I find that I don't need the night time snacks as much.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips!! :smile: so far I had toast with fat free cream cheese, and a special k bar, and some water for breakfast!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It may take you a little while to get a pattern down, but once you do it will be pretty easy to plan your day and space your calories out.

I am not a huge breakfast eater, but I have to have something, so I typically have between 250 and 300 calories for breakfast, anywhere between 300 and 500 for lunch and then whatever is leftover for dinner and a snack, so usually between 300 and 700 for dinner depending on what I have left and what I have planned for dinner.

Of course on the days that I work out I can add a little more to each meal, or add more to dinner and a snack. I do try to be more conservative with my calories through out the day because I would rather dinner be my largest meal of the day. I also work out after work so it's easier for me to save the calories for diner just in case I don't get around to working out. It can also be a good motivator to work out if you realize you don't have many calories left for dinner, then you HAVE to unless you want to go over your calories for the day.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    I definitely like dinner to be my largest meal also ... and for some reason I just like lunch/ dinner food better than breakfast foods. Except of course when I was eating eggs bacon toast and all that jazz :grumble: I guess oatmeal and toast aren't exactly the most appealing foods to me :tongue:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I definitely like dinner to be my largest meal also ... and for some reason I just like lunch/ dinner food better than breakfast foods. Except of course when I was eating eggs bacon toast and all that jazz :grumble: I guess oatmeal and toast aren't exactly the most appealing foods to me :tongue:

i love oatmeal i eat it everyday- i buy the quaker instant fruit and cream oatmeal 130 calories ( actually less calories than the weight control go figure) I eat 1 packet in the morning and drink my chocolate milk and I am good to go until lunch time--
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I eat a big breakfast and typically blow 400-600 calories on it because for 1) I think it's the most important meal of the day; 2) I usually exercise in the morning so need that fuel; 3) I love my cereal!

I also use about 400 calories a day on snacks and then split the remaining calories between lunch and dinner.

Dinner is almost always the smallest meal of the day for me.
  • theflamingtofu
    Options
    I eat a big breakfast and typically blow 400-600 calories on it because for 1) I think it's the most important meal of the day; 2) I usually exercise in the morning so need that fuel; 3) I love my cereal!

I also use about 400 calories a day on snacks and then split the remaining calories between lunch and dinner.

Dinner is almost always the smallest meal of the day for me.

Same here!! I love eating a lot in the morning-- it helps me focus in my morning classes (and I really love oatmeal with raisins and donuts and cereal and other delicious breakfast foods... which I don't eat all at once haha.). I'm usually not really hungry at night either.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm a big snacker. I find myself with calories at night. I have one of my kids' sized bowls of frozen yogurt every night. I'm up at 4:30 every morning running or kickboxing for about 50 minutes, so I figure what the heck. I'm still slowly losing weight and toning up. It has kept me from blowing my eating. I usually have 100-200 cals left at night, but I chalk it up to not having a HRM or under-estimating my calorie consumption.

L