Zero Calorie Spray Not Actually Zero Calorie

Options
Found this article kinda was a buzz kill =p I use canola oil spray for everything. I feel a bit tricked!

http://fitoriblog.com/fooled-again-no-calorie-cooking-spray/

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Yeah but it's so negligible. :)
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. :)
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Yeah, most zero calorie foods aren't really. They don't have to be, because of the federal laws about rounding. It doesn't mean you can't use them, just use them sparingly, and if you plateau, it's always a good idea to reevaluate how much "zero calorie" stuff you're going through in a day...thanks for sharing the link!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I hate to be an *kitten*, but I guess I'm a little surprised that you're surprised.

how do you think you get from this http://www.wessonoil.com/canola_oil.jsp to that? You reduce your amounts to such an extent that it's negligible. By spraying you can reduce the amount that you're using to make that happen. Yes, if you hold down that spray until there's 1 TBSP of oil in the pan it's gonna have some calories.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    wow! i wondered how it was possible not to have any calories in it lol :) thanks for sharing!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce supposedly has 0 calories too, but it's just not so. There's peppers in there, and last time I checked, peppers had calories. If it's under a certain amount per serving (gotta check those serving sizes) they are legally allowed to round down and call it zero calories.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not surprising. I find all those chemicals in it more disturbing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Anything with 5 calories or less per serving can be rounded down to zero. Just like anything with half a gram of fat per serving can be rounded down to zero and called fat free.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you really want, you can always just quick add a few calories. However, realize there's also calories in cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, and almost every spice. However, they're so minimal that it's not worth worrying over it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything when chewing, digesting, coughing, sneezing, burping, farting, or deucing can easily expel the same amount of calories... except for the latter. That can be pounds.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, One more thing for me to toss in the ol trash can today...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was freaking out about that last night but the more I thought about it I calmed down. Oils just have soooo many calories so my thought was omgosh this is terrible! But it's probably only a few. lol feeling a bit silly. Thanks to the NICE comments. Didn't realize there were critical people on here.