Do muscles retain water?

Options
Julijulz
Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole strength training ordeal. I just started about 2 weeks ago. At first, I noticed no fluctuation in weight, but about a week later, I noticed I went from 239lbs to 244lbs and I have been holding steady at that for about a week now. I have not fluctuated 1lb. I have been following my dietary guidelines perfectly. I eat my lower carb diet and I exercise 5-6 days out of the week. 4-5 of those days I lift weights with my husband. He has been training me. I'm not trying to build, but just tone. I always eat my exercise calories too, which I don't know if that is helping me lose weight or not. But after 2 weeks and no weight loss, I am becoming a bit worried. Do you think my weight not moving is the result of my muscles retaining water while they heal??? My husband seems to think so and I've read a lot online and I get the same thing. What do you guys think?

Replies

• kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do. I did two weeks straight of weight training and took a week off. I shed water weight like crazy during the off week. So now I don't get upset if the scale doesn't move so much during the weeks I'm using weights.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    definitely water weight. make sure you're drinking about a gallon of water a day because of all the weight training. and don't be afraid to lift heavy. women can't bulk up. if you want to look sleek and toned and hot, you need to push your muscles. I lift 3 times a week and I love it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I work my muscles hard - I see a gain on the scale (and sometimes it is up to 5lbs). I would try giving your muscles a couple rest days in a row and see if that brings the weight back down. I've found if I work my muscles REALLY hard two days in a row (or more) the weight gain lasts longer than if I just do it one day, take a rest day and then do it again.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    When you strength train the muscles actually tear and bleed, as they heal they release the blood and thus the weight loss.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Creatine functions in that way.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes they need the water to repair themselves.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When you strength train, you create small microtears in the muscle. As the muscle heals, it gains strength. However, part of the healing process requires the muscles to send out S.O.S. signals that for the repair to occur. One of the things that occurs is that the muscle hold onto water during this repair process. In time, as your muscles heal and get more 'used' to strength training, the water retention lessons until you up weights or change up the exercises a bit. It is also part of the reason why so many women complain that they're looking to bulky when they first start to strength train.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is really hard for women to bulk up, so don't be afraid to lift heavy weights. Unless you're taking certain hormones or drinking crazy protien shakes (not all of them are crazy, but some are specifically designed for bulking up.), you're not going to look like a body builder.

As far as retaining water, I have no idea how that works, other than when I eat too much sodium, my feet turn into marshmallows.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    This might help explain things http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis Just keep doing what you are doing, and I would suggest measuring yourself as well as the scale will often not show the whole picture.