Eating before bedtime!

Options
Hey guys I have heard alot of myths about eating before bed, can anyone give me some more info on whether this is bad or not? I work night shift so I get home at 7am usually have dinner and then go to bed within like 30 min, is this bad am I gonna gain? thanks for all the help in advance :)

Replies

• lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    People aren't gremlins, we can eat at any time of day, even after midnight. :smile:
  • BHealthyBeHappy
    BHealthyBeHappy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I heard that we should not eat 2 hours before we go to bed. Food need time to digest in our body. If food did not have enough time to digest before we go to bed which will accumulate in our body and turn to fat. I have changed this habit when I found this out for a year. For me, it is definitely true. I can feel the different.

True or not, try it to not eating and drinking before 2 hours to find out by yourself. Everyone is different.

I hope it help.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of answers, some passionate, on both sides of this debate. It's one of those things that some people are very adamant, even passionate, about, and there is "evidence" on both sides.

All I can give is my personal experience. I eat before bed, and it doesn't seem to matter. In fact, a few years ago I was in a weight loss challenge, and to help myself manage my calories, if I was under 1500 for the day I could then have a small scoop of ice cream (keeping total calories under 1600). I ate that ice cream within an hour of going to bed just about every night, and I lost 17 lbs in 9 weeks - or about 2 lbs a week. So, I don't think it really matters. (Then again, I have no idea how much personal metabolism variations can influence it).
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I heard that we should not eat 2 hours before we go to bed. Food need time to digest in our body. If food did not have enough time to digest before we go to bed which will accumulate in our body and turn to fat. I have changed this habit when I found this out for a year. For me, it is definitely true. I can feel the different.

True or not, try it to not eating and drinking before 2 hours to find out by yourself. Everyone is different.

I hope it help.

that is actually highly illogical , there is really no difference between eating and sitting a watching tv for two hours or going to bed
  • jillwaller
    jillwaller Posts: 82
    Options
    I figure it's fine to eat before bedtime. Even though we're asleep, our body still functions: our lungs breathe air, our heart pumps blood, and our brains work more furiously than ever. Skin cell turnover happens, children grow, etc. So I feel like our bodies still digest food completely normally then too. :)
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options

I hope it help.

that is actually highly illogical , there is really no difference between eating and sitting a watching tv for two hours or going to bed

correct X 10000000
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

I hope it help.

This makes no sense.

Why would foot turn into fat even if you're under your caloric maintenance requirements for the day? Why is it "2 hours" as well? Where did you hear this in the first place?
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It really depends on WHAT you eat vs WHEN you eat!! If you are eating a big steak dinner w/ baked potato and then head off to bed - no....not the best idea. Also, sugar is not a great idea before bed. However, if you eat some veggies or maybe a tuna sandwich - that is not so bad. In fact having a big amount of protein as your last meal will help keep metabolism up through the night and build muscle. You'll burn more calories sleeping that you would if you went to bed on an empty stomach. Again, its more about what vs when.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

I hope it help.

correct X 10000000

I wish I could find the article, but it said you actually burn more calories sleeping than sitting idle in front of a TV. I can not remember all the science behind the reasoning. Dang it would really good to have that article right about now. :tongue:
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It is all about what you've been doing too. If you've done a heavy strength workout your body will be repairing muscles over the next 24 hours, so protein just before bed will help muscle repair whilst asleep.

I'm surprised you can have a big meal before bedtime (although have done nights occasionally I can appreciate its very easy to sleep :o) )
  • sam62089
    sam62089 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople.com just said it wasn't going to make you fat. The 2-3 hour time frame of not eating before bed is more of a comfort thing, as it can be hard to fall asleep soon after a meal. Doesn't sound like you have that problem tho! :)
  • Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat a small snack 30 mins or so before bed. I find if I don't when I wake up to give miss 6 months her night feeds I am starving & more tempted to grab something no so good for a midnight snack
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    It really depends on WHAT you eat vs WHEN you eat!! If you are eating a big steak dinner w/ baked potato and then head off to bed - no....not the best idea. Also, sugar is not a great idea before bed. However, if you eat some veggies or maybe a tuna sandwich - that is not so bad. In fact having a big amount of protein as your last meal will help keep metabolism up through the night and build muscle. You'll burn more calories sleeping that you would if you went to bed on an empty stomach. Again, its more about what vs when.

Why is sugar not a good idea before bed? Why not a steak and baked potato?

Why is a tuna sandwich a good idea?

How does any of this keep your metabolism up through the night to build muscle? How would it be any different than if you ate normally throughout the day? How will you burn more calories eating protein before sleeping compared to if you go to bed on an empty stomach?

Where did you come up with ANY of this?
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    Have read in several studies and from personal experience high carb meals are usually not a good idea approaching bed time. Excess carbs are stored as fat and fat is used as the main energy source. Body is thinking about long term energy sources. Also usually get a better sleep by avoiding a high amount of carbs.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Have read in several studies and from personal experience high carb meals are usually not a good idea approaching bed time. Excess carbs are stored as fat and fat is used as the main energy source. Body is thinking about long term energy sources. Also usually get a better sleep by avoiding a high amount of carbs.

Incorrect.

Excess CALORIES are stored as fat. If you ate 500 calories during the day and then had a high carb meal at night, you're not going to store any fat from it. Also, excess carbs can be stored as muscle glycogen as well. That can be used later to fuel muscle contractions.

And finally, look up oatmeal + banana for pre bed food. There are plenty of articles showing how it helps people sleep. Also, cherries are full of melatonin and help people sleep. That's another carb food.

Please don't post mis-information. Thanks.