Am new and would love to add some friends...

Options
Hello, this is my first try with My Fitness Pal. I have been doing Weight Watchers for a few weeks and lost approx 6 lbs there. I have 10 more to go to be where I was pre-pregnancy (Lizzy is almost 3 months old).

I was waffling about leaving WW and joining MFP this past weekend when I decided to take a day and track in both WW and MFP. WOW! I realized that I can either memorize a points system (which can change) or I can use MFP to understand calories, fats, protein and carbs.

I ate at Applebees last night and after entering my salad and half an appetizer and half a dessert I had almost 3000 calories consumed. THREE THOUSAND for a salad, chips and dip and a brownie. WOW!!!!!

I don't think that I would have felt such an impact had I entered it in and seen the points in WW.

So, here I am. on the path to losing 60 lbs (minimum) and learning to be healthy in order to raise a healthy family.

The tools I am using are:

MFP - online and on iPod Touch
Couch 2 5K
Personal trainer on Mon, Tues, Wed (through a grant program this is free in our little town)
A friend who has lost 100 lbs in the last year is my work out partner
and a friend who is a Triathlete who is a work out partner

Thank you for reading and I hope to meet you!!!!

Replies

• jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did the Couch to 5k and am now running 4-6 miles a day, 6 days a week. I also bike 6-10 miles 3 times a week. You are on the right path, keep it up!
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great support system! Feel free to add me and I will support your journey as well :) Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • lenny1976
    lenny1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi I was doing ww too until a few weeks ago. I fine mfp much easier to track calories than points.
    Feel free to add me and we can help each other on our weight loss journeys x
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I had 60 lbs to loose, and I'm half way through now. I'm on week 5 of c25k.
    This is a great site. Everyone's really supportive and it makes a real difference! Feel free to look at my profile, and if you like to give and recieve regular encouragement and feedback, add me if you want to be friends. Good luck on your journey:)
    ( And anyone else is welcome, just send me a note with any requests)
    Caroline
  • terryrob2
    terryrob2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    hi tried weight watchers only to pick up pounds,so i decided to quit smoking and gained 30lbs while at weight watchers (ugh)
    so i signed up the other day here, also hoping it will help me also ,feel free to friend me also
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    Welcome! I recently started my second try on MFP. I tried Weight Watchers several years back, and even though I thought it was a good program; I did not understand full nutrition using it. I like MFP, because it helps you to understand the big picture. It also doesn't hurt that it is free to use. Good luck! :-)
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I am also a current Weight Watcher's member (since April 2010) and joined MFP in May 2011. Since joining I lost 14 lbs. (it took me a year to lose 20 lbs. on WW). I still go to meetings cause it's at work and I like the support from co-workers but I don't count points anymore. I count calories and that works for me. I also like the breakdown of other nutrients which is very helpful with watching cholesterol and sodium. etc. Welcome to MFP. You're gonna love it. It makes keeping track so easy and the data base is full of all kinds of foods.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site!! Good luck on your weight loss journey...feel free to add me :-))
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have great support and a great plan.
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have also used WW in the past and find MFP is SO much easier. I just love it! Lot's of great people on here with tons of advise and support. Feel free to add me as well and together we all can reach our goals! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I also joined ww 7 weeks before I discovered mfp (I've been here 15 days). . .I find ww new diet totally confusing and very difficult to follow . .but I still go to meetings because I need to be weighed by someone else every week, if that makes sense! I only track my food on here now and have lost 4lbs in 15 days (due to weigh-in again in 2 days). I personally have never felt as motivated as I have since I joined this site and I've been trying to lose weight for years!! I have over 100lbs to lose (which is sooooo daunting!) . . .I'm happy to help and give support if u like . . .best of luck :)
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just finished WW also. I didnt see much results though. I find MFP to be much better and FREE. There was a big discrepency between points and calories. I wish you all the luck on the journey. I will send you a friend request also.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like!
  • ladybug051438
    ladybug051438 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also did the WW and currently trying the MFP and so far i am loving it. I believe that you can reach your goal ^-^ Good luck
  • gonetothebeach
    gonetothebeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm new too, feel free to buddy up x