how to keep core tight?

Options
kje2011
kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
I am trying...
How do you keep your core tight? Silly question....but I do dvd's and the most recent one is Insanity. Now ShaunT keep telling me to keep my core tight
not sure if I am,
certainly can't 'see' it---all is see is my belly jiggle,lol---but I work hard and end up invigorated and sweating!
Can you give me some tips on keeping the core tight?

Replies

• mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try to imagine keeping your belly botton pulled in toward your spine- similar to "sucking in" to look skinnier! LOL! :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    When he tells you to "engage your core" or to "keep it tight" basically means to flex your abs or semi-flexed throughout the routines. Even during the stretches and breathing, as you exhale, you can put your hand over your abs to see if they're taut.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I struggle with all this too, but for me the best I can tell is it feels like I'm sucking in and pushing out at the same time. I think thats when I have my abs engaged. My dvd tells me to pull my belly button to the floor when I'm on my back, but I'm like whats that doing, but just sucking in so it doesn't feel right. I just think if I try to suck in and push out at the same time, thats when my abs are most tight.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    It was actually very hard for me until I got down to a certain weight. I would contract my core, but I wouldn't feel like it was staying tight. Trust yourself that it is, though. It takes some practice to train those muscles, but you'll get there :)
  • Becky1971
    Options
    This was true for me too, even being a healthy weight, the more I worked my abs the more I could feel them when they were tightened.
    It was actually very hard for me until I got down to a certain weight. I would contract my core, but I wouldn't feel like it was staying tight. Trust yourself that it is, though. It takes some practice to train those muscles, but you'll get there :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I brace myself as if someone's about to sucker-punch me in the gut.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Great description!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was always confused by this too. I don't know how to keep it taught while focusing on the exercises.

I find it hard to coordinate all of that.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Me too, even while Zumba'ing, lol I'm too focused on trying to hit all the moves. I always find myself not doing it, and having to remind myself.
    I was always confused by this too. I don't know how to keep it taught while focusing on the exercises.

I find it hard to coordinate all of that.
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    This came up for me when I was doing Billy Blanks Insane Abs yesterday. I guessed it was sucking in my stomach, but I still have too much jelly for it to work. :smile:

LorinaLynn, your abs are amazing.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Imagine sucking your stomach in to try to put on blue jeans that are to tight!! lol
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great description!

Second!