Ok ... uh ... wow

Options
So just out of curiosity I decided to wear my Polar F6 (which I have set for OwnZone) and wear it in exercise mode while I drove around, went out to eat, and went shopping with my grownup kids.

In eight hours it shows that I burned 1700 calories. Now my maintenance calories on my current settings are 1870 a day, so I divided that by 24 to get calories per hour, then multiplied that by 8 for how many hours I was "exercising," and subtracted that figure from the total of 1700. That showed that I still burned 1082 calories (over my maintenance amount) during the eight hours!

Can that be right? I didn't feel like I was doing anything out of the ordinary for a normal day, so it makes me wonder if I ought to bump up my settings from sedentary to lightly active or ....

Any thoughts?

Thanks y'all! Have a great night!

Replies

• tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    So just out of curiosity I decided to wear my Polar F6 (which I have set for OwnZone) and wear it in exercise mode while I drove around, went out to eat, and went shopping with my grownup kids.

In eight hours it shows that I burned 1700 calories. Now my maintenance calories on my current settings are 1870 a day, so I divided that by 24 to get calories per hour, then multiplied that by 8 for how many hours I was "exercising," and subtracted that figure from the total of 1700. That showed that I still burned 1082 calories (over my maintenance amount) during the eight hours!

Can that be right? I didn't feel like I was doing anything out of the ordinary for a normal day, so it makes me wonder if I ought to bump up my settings from sedentary to lightly active or ....

Any thoughts?

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

Let's see-- 1870 divided by 24 x 8 -- minus, uhhh-- carry the one-- ummm-- plus-- er...

Whoosh-- you lost me--

:wink:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Ok, I didn't follow all the math stuff, :noway:

but... are you factoring in your sleeping time? You will be burning a lot less calories then, of course.

:drinker:
  • tresa1234
    Options
    LOL ... let me see if I can fix that just in case I lost everybody else too!

1870/24 = 77.92 calories MFP says is my maintenance calorie amount per hour. For 8 hours that means I would burn 623.36 in normal activities. (77.92 x 8 = 623.36)

So I was out for 8 hours and it says that I burned 1700 calories during that time. If I subtract the 623.36 that I would have ordinarily burned from 1700, then that is...

1700 - 623.36 = 1076.64 extra that I burned during my walking around (shopping, not fast) here & there, eating lunch, and driving quite a bit. I think I must have rounded something up too much in my first figure to get 1082...

Just thinkin' ... DUDE ... that seems like a lot ... but it's only 135 more per hour than my maintenance. Which makes me wonder if I oughta have my calories set a bit higher on a daily basis.
  • tresa1234
    Options

but... are you factoring in your sleeping time? You will be burning a lot less calories then, of course.

Ahh ... there's a thought. I probably ought to figure this a bit differently counting about eight hours out of 24 at my BMR, not maintenance level. ::::scratching head and getting calculator out:::::
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I figured out today that I burn 60 cals an hour sitting, watching tv and typing
    Burned 88 cals when doign normal moving around.
    i am a fidget so I dont sit for long.

It think most of that is factored into your daily activities in MFP. Huh??
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Did you count showering, grooming, housework, etc?

J/K.... :smile: :wink:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think over analizing the calories and stuff is to much.. i say if what you are doing now is working then just continue to do what you are doing. :smile: Besides I was never good in math:tongue:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Did you count showering, grooming, housework, etc?

J/K.... :smile: :wink:

hey....laugh if you will, but eating spicy mexican food can burn up some....calories!!:wink::laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Ahh ... there's a thought. I probably ought to figure this a bit differently counting about eight hours out of 24 at my BMR, not maintenance level. ::::scratching head and getting calculator out:::::

tresa I have so missed you. Please a lil sumpin for proud!?!

That pound of fat makes me cringe each and every time I see it!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • tresa1234
    Options

That didn't really change it by a whole, whole lot. Ok, get ready for your heads to explode:

My BMR (what I'd burn in 24 hours lying in bed) is 1470. If I was in bed for 24 hours I'd burn 61.25 calories per hour (1470/24). So in 8 hours asleep, I burn 490 calories (61.25 x 8). If my maintenance calories in a day are 1870, then during my 16 hours awake, I burn 1380 (1870-490), or 86.25 calories per hour (1380/16).

So what I should be burning during 8 hours of normal activity is 86.25 x 8 = 690. But my HRM said I burned more like 1700 in that same 8 hours.... so 1700 - 690 = 1010 calories burned. Divided by 8 hours that is an extra 126.25 calories per hour over my maintenance.

Huh. I don't think I'm going to be able to eat all of those today.
  • tresa1234
    Options

tresa I have so missed you. Please a lil sumpin for proud!?!

That pound of fat makes me cringe each and every time I see it!!!:drinker: :drinker:

Your wish is my command! :wink:

I KNOW ... that fat is so gross ... I put it there to remind myself that even 1 pound is THAT much I don't want to carry on my hips or my belly ANY MORE!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: