help picking a healthy peanut butter (PB)

Options
cheddarboy
cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
whats the best peanut butter? i know saturated fat is bad, is there anything else to look out for? Is there a brand with more protein and/or less calories?

Replies

• SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    If you know it´s bad, why do you want or need it?
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I just heard today about a powder peanut butter than you mix with water and it's high in protein and low in fat. I don't know the name of it, but you can get it at health food stores and online..I think at bell plantation................also walden farms has one - some folks don't like walden farms, but I like most things they have.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    I get the natural unsalted kinda. I love it and its great when you need a replacement or excess calories :-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and read the labels. Look for peanut butters with one ingredient: peanuts. Can't get more natural/healthy than that. You don't need the added oils/sugars/salts that many brands add. It does take a little time to adjust to the slightly different taste (not overly sweet like "regular" pb is) but I've found that now I prefer PB that's got no extra ingredients.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're open to the idea, but if you get some roasted peanuts you can make it yourself in a food processor. Nothing simpler. You literally just blend until smooth and add a pinch of salt. I love the taste of homemade PB!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you know it´s bad, why do you want or need it?

omg lol peanut butter isn't bad unless it's got added sugar and salt :grumble:
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    www.bellplantation.com

pb2 is delicious..easy to make...and 45cal....1g fat per serving
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Jif All Natual! So creamy and so good (no added junk).
  • Antares84
    Antares84 Posts: 7
    Options
    with all prepackaged foods you should always always always look for the simplest ingredients.

for peanut butter, if the Ingredients list anything besides: Raw Peanuts/Roasted Peanuts, sea salt -- dont get it!

Raw is always good but easier to find as raw almond butter.

A couple of GREAT brands to look for:
    http://www.maranathafoods.com/
    http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/

Adam's is sold at walmart. I hate walmart but they do have some items like this that are worth getting.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and read the labels. Look for peanut butters with one ingredient: peanuts. Can't get more natural/healthy than that. You don't need the added oils/sugars/salts that many brands add. It does take a little time to adjust to the slightly different taste (not overly sweet like "regular" pb is) but I've found that now I prefer PB that's got no extra ingredients.

Peanut butter seperates. Only Peanuts is of course great - but.....it will seperate and if you dont eat it every day it becomes very difficult to stir and spread. FInd one that has molasses added; it is still good for you, but helps avoid seperation!
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    It's not bad for you. There is a huge debate on saturated fat but look at some scholarly journals and look at the new research, it isn't bad at all. But get a pb with nothing but peanuts, it's simple :)
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree with making it yourself. Or, there is a brand called Krema. It's just ground peanuts - absolutely nothing added. They make chunky and creamy.
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just heard today about a powder peanut butter than you mix with water and it's high in protein and low in fat. I don't know the name of it, but you can get it at health food stores and online..I think at bell plantation................also walden farms has one - some folks don't like walden farms, but I like most things they have.

It's called PB2...I seen it at the store the other day and was like "WOW!" :D But I didn't want to buy it until I got some other opinions on it first.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh ground peanut butter. All it is is plain ole peanuts. NOTHING added!! As an endurance athlete, BB&J is a training food and a necessity so I get the most natural kind that is available. You can get it at health food stores and places like Whole Foods!! It really is amazing stuff and is ground to order so you can buy as much or as little as you would like. The best thing is, it's not real expensive. I think like $2.99 a pound. :drinker:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I eat Smucker's All Natural Crunchy peanut butter....and I LOVE IT! it has 2 ingredients...peanuts (not roasted peanuts) and some salt. that's it. it comes with the oil separated from the peanut butter so you have to mix it and then store it in the fridge, but its not a difficult thing.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    All natural creamy Almond butter is my choice from maranatha...all things in moderation sweetie
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Marantha makes an awesome almond butter which I prefer over peanut butter and it's better for you, but if you are hooked on peanut butter i would look for ones with no hydrogenated oils and no or low salt. Adams makes a 100% all natural peanut butter in crunchy or creamy with no hydrogenated oils or salt ...in fact I just looked at the ingredients list and it says"peanuts" ...that is all there is to it...you have to stir it though
  • williebob
    williebob Posts: 24
    Options
    check out naturally more peanut butter. It has flax seed oil and seeds add to it for some omega 3's.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat all natural sunflower butter, just sunflower seeds and salt. Loads of omega 3s. That with bananas on a rice cake is a great workout snack.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Skippy makes a Natural PB that is very good.
    Jif makes a Natural PB that is also low sodium that tastes very good. I think it is the best.