New to protein powder...HELP

Options
I tried to incorporate more protein into my meals, but I'm still not getting 'enough.' I'm ready to try protein powder, but I'm lost. What should I look for? What does everyone out there use? Do you like it? Is it expensive? Got any good recipes?
Any and all ideas are helpful! Thanks!

Replies

• CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    BUMP...I am curious as well!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Search for confused about protein powders
  • zyle
    zyle Posts: 34
    Options
    I recently started using Syntha 6, its a protein powder recommended to me from friends at work. It is quite expensive, but as a girl in Vegas told me "anything worth having is worth paying for" .
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Vanilla flavor. Delicious, even with water!
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    For the purpose of adding protein shakes as meal replacements during the day, or to increase your protein intake a bit Syntha-6 is a good option. Syntha-6 is a mixture of several types protein that are digested by your body at different rates. Although Optimum Nutrition is a very good brand of protein (im assuming their whey protein was being suggested), whey protein is digested by the body very quickly (which is why is good after a workout but not during the day), sometimes acting as sugar in that it produces a significant insulin spike in your body. Not ideal if you are trying to keep low fat levels. I have used Syntha-6 in the past, it is among the more expensive protein powders but with its flavor and how good it works, the price is right. Same company also produces a line called Lean Dessert. Think it should be about the same price, but somehow it tastes even better.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know or care how much you paid for your whey protein powder. I use Body Fortress Vanilla ($18 for 2 pounds at WalMart) and I'm happy with what it does for me. Different people have different concerns about different ingredients. Check the ingredient list on different powders and buy the one that suits you best. I think once I am further along (maybe close to goal) I might consider a different powder.