Need Input from diabetic dieters

Options
I was under the impression that dibetics needed to eat more protein and less carbs to keep glucose levels down. I'm going over my protein allowance each day, but not getting enough calories. Shouldn't that be a part of the initial questions when we first sign on this site? What have others of you done to compensate for this?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and I reset my goals. I have mine set at 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that dibetics needed to eat more protein and less carbs to keep glucose levels down. I'm going over my protein allowance each day, but not getting enough calories. Shouldn't that be a part of the initial questions when we first sign on this site? What have others of you done to compensate for this?

I'm a type 1 diabetic, on an insulin pump. I eat a low glycemic / slow carb diet. I get plenty of carbs (the right ones) and protein. You can have carbs, just the right ones.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    That's the old ways. I just got off my meds for Diabetes and I eat carbs. I eat a lot of carbs compared to most here. They're mostly good carbs I do. The key is, move after having them so they burn up. It doesn't have to be a hard workout. I do hard workouts when I do high carb meals.

The new rule is: you can have anything you want, if it fits into your numbers. Therefore, I still have my desserts. :)

ETA: my settings are: Carbs 45%, Protein 30% and Fat 25%
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Howdy, being a diabetic can be tricky because you have to play by some different rules. You can change your setting but I would talk to your doctor about what it should be for you. I'm at 35% carb, protein and 30% fat.... but because I eat a lot of fruit I increased my sugar to 55. My doctor said that 50 -55 is fine as long as they are the "right" kind of sugars and also all carbs are not evil you just have to know your carbs and how they affect you. For me there are certain foods that I know raise my sugar level and affect me and there are foods that my body "burns" up quickly and don't really "affect" my sugar level. Not everyone is the same and your doctor can help you with this or if you have a dietitian. Good luck to you!
  • WinkieInOKC
    Options
    Thanks SK and Binkie, I'll look for the page where we can adjust our goals on this web site. I appreciate your input. I only joined last Thursday, so still trying to get in the groove.
  • Alexmommy2009
    Options
    My best friend is diabetic and is trying to get control of it and lose weight. Her problem is noone has told her how to eat. Do any of you know any good websites that could help her? I can only help her so much and I want her to succeed in her goals.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    H Winkie...I am a type 2 and have successfully gotten off all meds, controlling it with diet and exercise. My experience is that everyone responds differently to different carbs. I know that if I eat over 135 gm, it can start to elevate my levels. I try to never go over 160 gm. That is where frequent glucometer checks will help you determine what your body can handle. I can handle crackers, but not whole grain breads for some reason. I, too, have set my goals to meet my needs, as approved by my doctor and nutritionist--which is to increase protein and decrease mfp recommended carb allotment. Hope this helps!