Quitting smoking and MFP?

Options
My plan was to worry about losing weight first and then worry about quitting smoking.

One thing at a time - so I don't lose my mind.

But, I realized that smoking is standing in my way of getting in better workouts and feeling healthier overall. So today I started making my first real attempt to quit.

Of course - I am so hungry today and gave myself the day off from MFP to deal with it. Has anyone else quit while they were on MFP? How did you balance the two?

If I can actually quit, then in two weeks I will be feeling GREAT and ready to step up my workouts. Right now, I'm just hungry and so antsy.

Replies

• DjBliss05
    Options
    My plan was to worry about losing weight first and then worry about quitting smoking.

One thing at a time - so I don't lose my mind.

But, I realized that smoking is standing in my way of getting in better workouts and feeling healthier overall. So today I started making my first real attempt to quit.

Of course - I am so hungry today and gave myself the day off from MFP to deal with it. Has anyone else quit while they were on MFP? How did you balance the two?

If I can actually quit, then in two weeks I will be feeling GREAT and ready to step up my workouts. Right now, I'm just hungry and so antsy.
    Options
    What you are describing is your brain trying to deal without the smoking. Your brain will try and trick you on many different levels. I have quit smoking with chantix and I have no cravings or anything else that I had in the past from going cold turkey or with the gum or patches. I had found out that I could exsercise better only after 3 days away from smoking I have been smoke free for almost 3 months. Yes being hungry is a side effect from not smoking. Smoking actually can raise your metabilizm slightly, and once again it is actually your brain telling you that you are so hungry.

I wish you all the best on staying smoke free. You can email me if you want to know anything about the chantix or anything else about staying quit from smoking.

Have a great evening
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to deal with smoking -- it is what I would consider the single most important thing we can do for ourselves. :smile:

I have to say that's a daunting order; changing eating habits AND giving up smokes. I quit first - May 1st of 2006, and it took me awhile to realize my weight was getting out of hand. Giving up smokes at that time was more important to me than worrying about weight.

I wish you luck, and the same goes for me - if you need advice or support, email me. You can do this if you're determined enough, and I'm proud of you!! :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to deal with smoking -- it is what I would consider the single most important thing we can do for ourselves. :smile:

I have to say that's a daunting order; changing eating habits AND giving up smokes. I quit first - May 1st of 2006, and it took me awhile to realize my weight was getting out of hand. Giving up smokes at that time was more important to me than worrying about weight.

I wish you luck, and the same goes for me - if you need advice or support, email me. You can do this if you're determined enough, and I'm proud of you!! :flowerforyou:

A daunting order is a good way to put it!

I am kind of putting MFP on the back burner until I can quit... then I'll be right back at it. I feel like they compliment each other and apparently I am up for making big changes in my life right now!

Hopefully, it works out in the end.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Do the ciggies first then the weight when you are well and truly off them . it takes a long time.......your body metabolism takes a while to get used to the freedom of nicotine....it's tooo easy to have a ciggie instead of something to eat and vice versa
    At the end of the day the smoking is worse for your health

I smoked for well over 30 years before quitting for good nearly 2 years ago
    Best of luck with whatever you do

:drinker:
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on your decision to quit smoking ,I have been smkoe free 4 years,I know you can do this! The first week will be hard but once it is out of your body it gets a little easier.Don,t think about it ,Keep your self busy,Get lots of vegtables to munch on.GOOD LUCK!!!!:flowerforyou: