Nausea after exercising hard?

Options
carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
I sometimes work out really hard just for the hell of it (like running for extended period of time or high level of elliptical for a long time) When I'm working out I feel great. No dizziness, fatigue, etc.
But afterwards, sometimes I feel nauseous, a little shaky, or like I may throw up.

I enjoy working out hard, I am healthy and physically able. But I don't like the after affects that last a little while.
Is there any food/drink I can take or anything I can do to cool myself down without feeling like I'm high? lol

thanks for the input

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like that too after a highly intense cardio workout or even a heart pumpin' weight training routine.

What I do is an extended cool down, like a brisk walk and long stretching routine afterwards. I also have a protein drink within 30 minutes of finishing. It seems to help.

I don't like eating solid food right after a workout, cause something THAT causes me to be nauseous.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    that happens a lot actually...it's what happens when you push your body past its limit...which is a good thing, even though you feel like ****...when it happens to me, i drink water (room temperature....cold water will make you puke) and drink it slowly...then ill sit in the shower for a little while and replenish with peanut butter toast...carbs and protein... then i feel all better!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've experienced it on occasion but put it down to having a lot of fluid in my stomach over the previous 2 hours and not much solid food so don't worry about it.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    great idea to have a longer cool down. and carrieloo the PB toast is a great idea. thanks all!
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i had this yesterday after a hard session of spinning and couldn't get warm all day felt all shivery and cold

and felt sick didn't go until i started execrsing again that evening guess keep an eye on it
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You probably over did it sometimes I feel like that after kick boxing when we do alot of conditioning. It's normal
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i had this yesterday after a hard session of spinning and couldn't get warm all day felt all shivery and cold

and felt sick didn't go until i started execrsing again that evening guess keep an eye on it
    This sometimes happens to me after a long run. I lose a lot of salt when I sweat. Try drinking something that will replace electrolytes like Gatorade or something similar.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I think I swallow air when I work out hard and it makes me nauseous after. Is it possible this could be happening to you too?
    I think an extended cool down might work and/or light food. A few small pretzels or some fruit might work.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sick after working out, I think that would be a danger sign. Wear a heart rate monitor(HRM), so you can tell what your heart is doing, staying in the zone is one thing, exceeding the zone is another thing. You know you can get a heart attack if you push your heart too hard. Exercise intelligently and monitor what your heart is doing and don't take it to extreme levels.
  • susanmary88
    Options
    I'd agree with the extended cool down and just wait a bit before eating. I dont think its a "danger sign". You are only 24 so not going to kill yourself by pushing yourself in your workouts! In my kettlebell class, the trainer always says we arent doing it right unless we fell like getting sick by the end of the class, haha!

I also find that I drink too much water while working out without realising. Sometimes I could drink 1.5L in like 90 mins and I just think my stomach cant handle all the water!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It happens, just don't make it a regular occurrence, or you'll end up really puking one day lol. Your body will eventually get used to you pushing it and you won't feel that way as much as you once did.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, as well, every once in a while. I usually try to have a protein shake right after cooldown, and the nauseated feeling goes away almost immediately.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I remember when my sister used to train for swimming in high school she used to puke and was shaking for hours after her workouts. I think it's ok if you're working hard. Especially, if you're young. I think at my age, it would be a little dangerous and I'd want to make sure that I knew exactly what I was doing. But, the human body is amazingly strong and resilient.

I wouldn't worry much. It might also depends overall on your diet. Maybe you don't have all the nutrients you need to carry yourself through a workout like that. Like, you might be eating all your calories but you might be lack certain other elements, such as good fats and carbs.