Need Something Different

Options
I am looking for something to make for Thanksgiving that is different from the normal green beans or corn. Does anyone have a vegetable recipe to share? Also, would like it to be somewhat healthy...I'm doing great with the calorie counting and my mother in law just found out she is diabetic. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner can be such a great time and a depressing time in all the same. Want to help where I can. Thanks, in advance!!

Replies

• countrybee
    Options
    I am looking for something to make for Thanksgiving that is different from the normal green beans or corn. Does anyone have a vegetable recipe to share? Also, would like it to be somewhat healthy...I'm doing great with the calorie counting and my mother in law just found out she is diabetic. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner can be such a great time and a depressing time in all the same. Want to help where I can. Thanks, in advance!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Squash is great for me and I'm diabetic--also pumpkin. I make a crustless pumpkin that is good. Just like the real thing--without the crust, of course.

My favorite squash dish is to put some squash and sweet onions, cut up, in a ziploc bag with a little olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Shake well. Bake at 425 degrees until tender. YUM!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Squash is great for me and I'm diabetic--also pumpkin. I make a crustless pumpkin that is good. Just like the real thing--without the crust, of course.

My favorite squash dish is to put some squash and sweet onions, cut up, in a ziploc bag with a little olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Shake well. Bake at 425 degrees until tender. YUM!

That sounds yum Shore and simple...simple is time saving...I like that!

ok, please don't laugh at my question......:blushing: I'm gonna assume we remove the squash etc. from the the plastic bag and then place it in a pan?? Or is this a cooking bag you're referring too? Ohhhhhhh I LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking bags...ahhh wondering if now that I think about it...that's what you meant!:blushing: :laugh: :drinker:
  • shorerider
    Options

ok, please don't laugh at my question......:blushing: I'm gonna assume we remove the squash etc. from the the plastic bag and then place it in a pan?? Or is this a cooking bag you're referring too? Ohhhhhhh I LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking bags...ahhh wondering if now that I think about it...that's what you meant!:blushing: :laugh: :drinker:

Oh, sorry! No, I wasn't talking about cooking bags--never tried those. After shaking, I dump it all into a roasting pan lined with aluminum foil--no clean-up that way!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Oh, sorry! No, I wasn't talking about cooking bags--never tried those. After shaking, I dump it all into a roasting pan lined with aluminum foil--no clean-up that way!

oh ok:happy: Sure glad I asked then!:laugh: Try the cooking bags sometime I think you'd find them really handy...and talk about no cleanup! I often do a roast with veggies in the cooking bags...they keep everything so moist and tender....and again..such an easy cleanup!

Thanks again for clarifying:flowerforyou:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    we're doing sweet potatoes!
  • shorerider
    Options

They can be problematic for diabetics--better than regular potatoes because they're so fiberous but some diabetics can't touch them without a huge spike. I can eat a bit--maybe 1/4 a sweet potato but that's it.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    What my dad does is he takes a buttercup or acorn squash, cuts it up and puts nutmeg, cinnamon and a little honey on them.. put them in the oven and *droooool*:heart:

he usually cuts them in half or in quarters.. I can probably eat an entire squashed cooked like that it's soooooo good!!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

They can be problematic for diabetics--better than regular potatoes because they're so fiberous but some diabetics can't touch them without a huge spike. I can eat a bit--maybe 1/4 a sweet potato but that's it.

yeah I forgot about the whole diabetic part I was just thinking about the healthy. Sorry!:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

When you get a moment...do take a peek in the recipes here on MFP as you may find just what you're looking for in there as well. :drinker: But I'll keep looking around for ideas to share :bigsmile:
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies, quick, easy, super yummy!

Take any veggies you have, the more variety the better, sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers, onion, garlic, even corn on the cob, cobs cut into 1/3's. Cut everything up, toss with 2-3 T. water and some seasoning of choice, just garlic salt is great, or some rosemary and herbs, spray a pan w/ pam, add veggies, spray tops w/ pam and roast at 425-450, 30 minutes if you're using root vegetables in the mix, 20 min. otherwise. Stir every 10 minutes.
  • sandrinaav
    Options
    Two very easy and healthy foods we'll be having at Thanksgiving are:
    Boiled sweet potatoes- quartered and just boiled with nutmeg and cinnamon, and...
    Boiled apple slices- simply sliced and boiled with cinnamon spinkled on top.

Each dish takes about 20 minutes....low heat, soft boil.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    countrybee:flowerforyou: Gonna bump your post for this morning's crowd perhaps someone here can give you some great idea to help you out...sometimes posts can get lost among the threads so we'll bump it abit for ya:flowerforyou:
  • countrybee
    Options
    Wow!! Mondays are my crazy days...have been away from the computer and was shocked with all the suggestions. I love it!! Someone suggested the recipe section....I checked that, and only found sweet things...must have looked in the wrong place.

Thanks for the suggestions....no sweet potatos please....just haven't learned to like that yet!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Spinach Quiche
    You can make it w/reduced fat/calorie margarine and low/fat or non fat cheese. If you would like the recipe just let me know.

Memaw
  • countrybee
    Options
    I would actually like to try that one....please share it!!:love:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes 'em, but I looove brussels sprouts. I steam them, then toss them in a bit of butter (a very small bit), maple syrup or lemon juice and top with siced almonds when they're cooked.
    A.