Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Options
Wondering if anyone has read the book, "Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads"

I recently downloaded it and have read it cover to cover... It seems almost too good to be true. The basic concept is eating 4 meals a day ranging roughly around 330-400 cals for each meal. Its premise is combining a protein with a carbohydrate which seems like a wonderful paradigm to me. There is a "7 day kick start" that seems more restricted and it says you can expect to loose 2-7 lbs in the first 7 days. After that it is less restricted...

http://www.christineavanti.com/SkinnyChicks.php

I was wondering, has anyone else has read the book and has had success with "Skinny Chicks"? If that is the case then, what your thoughts and experiences about it?

Please note that I really only want to hear from people that have read the book and followed the program. No "Diet Haters" please... Thanks!

Replies

• chattyKathi
    chattyKathi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book but one of my friends have. she didn't mention about the diet but did say that the book was good and gave differences to how skinny people eat vs not so skinny people. Made a lot of sense, Good luck on the program though.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I recently downloaded it and have read it cover to cover... It seems almost too good to be true. The basic concept is eating 4 meals a day ranging roughly around 330-400 cals for each meal. Its premise is combining a protein with a carbohydrate which seems like a wonderful paradigm to me. There is a "7 day kick start" that seems more restricted and it says you can expect to loose 2-7 lbs in the first 7 days. After that it is less restricted...

I was wondering, has anyone else has read the book and has had success with "Skinny Chicks"? If that is the case then, what your thoughts and experiences about it?

Please note that I really only want to hear from people that have read the book and followed the program. No "Diet Haters" please... Thanks!
    Aren't we ALL "diet haters" ?:tongue: I thought that's why we all switched over to MFP to finally do it the RIGHT way and make it stick!? !:wink::flowerforyou:

Have never read the book but several things you mentioned are often used by those of us looking to achieve a healthier lifestyle, eating smaller meals, approx that many calories, combining the carb/protein/fat at each meal.

Not sure what else the book recommends but so far so good... Don't know about a 7 day kick-start, MFP has been a great kick start for me....

I'm all done dieting and wasting time reading them and BUYING them:sick: but in every book there are principles of truth that will work. But if what you've shared so far is any indication of your plan it's got a good start.:drinker:

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Haven't read it-but would love to see some comments on this
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options

Aren't we ALL "diet haters" ?:tongue: I thought that's why we all switched over to MFP to finally do it the RIGHT way and make it stick!? !:wink::flowerforyou:

Have never read the book but several things you mentioned are often used by those of us looking to achieve a healthier lifestyle, eating smaller meals, approx that many calories, combining the carb/protein/fat at each meal.

Not sure what else the book recommends but so far so good... Don't know about a 7 day kick-start, MFP has been a great kick start for me....

I'm all done dieting and wasting time reading them and BUYING them:sick: but in every book there are principles of truth that will work. But if what you've shared so far is any indication of your plan it's got a good start.:drinker:

You are correct! MFP is a great way to organize and keep track of calories, exercise, and of course to gain support and insight from MFP friends. Someone recommended the book to me and read it not as a "diet" book but rather another way to look at food. In reality, when it comes down to it... the book is another diet plan.

The idea of carbs at every meal enticed me... I am a carb fiend. :happy:
  • blwood860
    Options
    I am interested in at least reading this book - I will request it from the library.

I"m also interested if anyone has tried this. :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What's up with the title?! I eat 100% more salad now that I'm . . . well, not skinny, but "slender" I guess, than I did when I was a fatty.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

You are correct! MFP is a great way to organize and keep track of calories, exercise, and of course to gain support and insight from MFP friends. Someone recommended the book to me and read it not as a "diet" book but rather another way to look at food. In reality, when it comes down to it... the book is another diet plan.

The idea of carbs at every meal enticed me... I am a carb fiend. :happy:
    Thanks for explaining it a bit more.:flowerforyou: I may have to check the library as well and see what other little gems I can learn from it!

"Carb fiend"...Love IT!:laugh: :tongue:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    What's up with the title?! I eat 100% more salad now that I'm . . . well, not skinny, but "slender" I guess, than I did when I was a fatty.

Checking out k8edge's (OP) link to the authors site, Christine Avanti explained the title:

"Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads written by me! Christine Avanti

So there is my book title and cover, carefully designed to cause people to stop and take notice of it and hopefully to remember me. Yes I am aware that it is a little bit of a goofy leg kick - but the message of my book is ABSOLUTELY, DEAD-ON USEFUL INFORMATION that can get you from "gotta lose a few" all the way to "I'm ripped and in the best shape of my life."

Sharing the above because the title definitely caught my attention at first as well (before I checked out the site) because I'd had a nice big salad before hand. :laugh:
  • k8edge
    Options

Checking out k8edge's (OP) link to the authors site, Christine Avanti explained the title:

"Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads written by me! Christine Avanti

So there is my book title and cover, carefully designed to cause people to stop and take notice of it and hopefully to remember me. Yes I am aware that it is a little bit of a goofy leg kick - but the message of my book is ABSOLUTELY, DEAD-ON USEFUL INFORMATION that can get you from "gotta lose a few" all the way to "I'm ripped and in the best shape of my life."

Sharing the above because the title definitely caught my attention at first as well (before I checked out the site) because I'd had a nice big salad before hand. :laugh:

Thank you for clearing this up... Some people fail to read an entire post before jumping to conclusions! Like I said before I really was trying to avoid sarcastic comments but then again, it is unavoidable, The above comment regarding the title of my post confirms that.

The book also explains that most salads aren't bad... But, salad from a restaurant? I dub in the horrible category. Laden with cheese, dressing, and who knows what else. For example the Quesadilla Explosion Salad from Chilis has 1400 calories in it! That is more than I typically eat in a day. Think about it... How many times do we say, "I'll just have a salad" thinking that we will be making the healthier choice. I have personally done this.

Okay, done with this now. :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Wow, calm down. I wasn't picking on your poor post title. I was actually referring to the title of the book, and I was being facetious.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book.

However, in my opinion, what you eat contributes to health and hunger. How much you eat contributes to weight.

My experience is that carbohydrates spike blood sugar levels, and you will feel hungry when they come down. If appetite is what kills your willpower, then a stable BSL is your friend. That means low carbs, or, constant eating without blowing your daily calorie allotment.

In the end, it comes down to calories. You have to burn more than you eat if you want to lose weight.

Aside from that, eat healthy food to have a healthy body.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in reading it, but 4 meals a day at that calorie range just isn't plausible for me. I work 8:30-5:30, waking up around 6:30 and I'm asleep by 10. I'm not sure how I would fit in 3 meals essentially at work, and not be eating at 8-9PM right before bed. I just can't take that kind of time at work to eat that often. For anyone who can do it, more power to them! I'm pretty much stuck in the breakfast, lunch, and dinner thing right now.
  • mstorious
    mstorious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in reading it, but 4 meals a day at that calorie range just isn't plausible for me. I work 8:30-5:30, waking up around 6:30 and I'm asleep by 10. I'm not sure how I would fit in 3 meals essentially at work, and not be eating at 8-9PM right before bed. I just can't take that kind of time at work to eat that often. For anyone who can do it, more power to them! I'm pretty much stuck in the breakfast, lunch, and dinner thing right now.

Your schedule seems ideal for that kind of plan... I'm just going off of the hours though because this is essentially what I did when I worked in an office with similar hours.
    Meal 1 : 7am breakfast
    Meal 2 and 3: 12:30pm lunch 3:30 snack
    Meal 4: 6:30pm dinner
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Your schedule seems ideal for that kind of plan... I'm just going off of the hours though because this is essentially what I did when I worked in an office with similar hours.
    Meal 1 : 7am breakfast
    Meal 2 and 3: 12:30pm lunch 3:30 snack
    Meal 4: 6:30pm dinner

It would work if I completely change my schedule =/. I get up at 6:30 right now and I'm out the door at 7:40 after getting ready to carpool with my husband to work. I usually have to eat something here before my boss gets in. He's really strict about me taking more than my hour for lunch (it's more like it should be 30 mins in his head, ugh) So the 3:30 snack wouldn't work, plus I would be unsure of what to eat... then we have the issue of dinner. I have to cook something for my husband as well. His calorie limit is 1,700 per day and with mine being 1,200, I would be struggling to find something for both of us for dinner that wouldn't put me over. Sigh. We've tried it. It just doesn't work. I seem to be losing weight with what I'm doing now, at least. Eating breakfast has helped.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this diet per se, but there are many "diets" or nutrition experts out there who counsel eating 5-6 meals per day and not adhering to a strict low carb diet.

The method I'm using has me eating around 1800 calories a day for three days, and then 2100 calories for one day, and then back down, in a cycle. I eat 5 times a day (6 on workout days because I eat while working out), and meals are in the 300-350 calorie range. My macronutrient breakdown is 40/30/30% carb, protein, and fat. Because I'm a carb sensitive endomorph, I try to eat the bulk of my starchy carbs in my first two meals of the day (and while on the bike because I really need them then), and then take in fibrous (i.e. vegetable based carbs) in my later meals. If you are of a different body type, or tolerate carbs better, then there's no reason you couldn't have starchy carbs later in the day. I just happen to know that doesn't work for me.

There have been all kinds of studies that suggest eating smaller, more frequent meals that always contain a mix of lean protein and some kind of carb is much better for your metabolism. It's definitely the approach I prefer--I don't lose weight super fast (I never have, no matter what approach I used), but I lose steadily and I never feel hungry or deprived.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It would work if I completely change my schedule =/. I get up at 6:30 right now and I'm out the door at 7:40 after getting ready to carpool with my husband to work. I usually have to eat something here before my boss gets in. He's really strict about me taking more than my hour for lunch (it's more like it should be 30 mins in his head, ugh) So the 3:30 snack wouldn't work, plus I would be unsure of what to eat... then we have the issue of dinner. I have to cook something for my husband as well. His calorie limit is 1,700 per day and with mine being 1,200, I would be struggling to find something for both of us for dinner that wouldn't put me over. Sigh. We've tried it. It just doesn't work. I seem to be losing weight with what I'm doing now, at least. Eating breakfast has helped.

Can you eat at your desk? For example:

Meal 1: breakfast, as you've been doing it so far
    Meal 2: lunch, as you've been doing it so far, but perhaps a little bit earlier (like around 11 am)
    Meal 3: mid-afternoon Pure Protein or Think Thin protein bar around 3 pm
    Meal 4: dinner, as you've been doing it so far
    Meal 5: evening snack of Greek yogurt and fruit, protein shake, etc. at least 1 hour before bed
  • tryingjustfortoday
    Options
    I don't believe it. The Skinny Chicks would have to be running thier butts off or have the metabolism of a bird for this to work.
  • tryingjustfortoday
    Options
    Love the pict! :smile:
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Another one you may want to look into is The Carb Lovers Diet. It's endorsed by Health Magazine and they have recipes and success stories in their monthly mag. I've read it and have followed it with success. It is basic healthy eating but combining certain foods together to keep you full longer. there's a lot of information right on their website www.carblovers.com Sounds like a similiar plan. Best of luck!
  • k8edge
    Options
    I don't know about this diet per se, but there are many "diets" or nutrition experts out there who counsel eating 5-6 meals per day and not adhering to a strict low carb diet.

The method I'm using has me eating around 1800 calories a day for three days, and then 2100 calories for one day, and then back down, in a cycle. I eat 5 times a day (6 on workout days because I eat while working out), and meals are in the 300-350 calorie range. My macronutrient breakdown is 40/30/30% carb, protein, and fat. Because I'm a carb sensitive endomorph, I try to eat the bulk of my starchy carbs in my first two meals of the day (and while on the bike because I really need them then), and then take in fibrous (i.e. vegetable based carbs) in my later meals. If you are of a different body type, or tolerate carbs better, then there's no reason you couldn't have starchy carbs later in the day. I just happen to know that doesn't work for me.

There have been all kinds of studies that suggest eating smaller, more frequent meals that always contain a mix of lean protein and some kind of carb is much better for your metabolism. It's definitely the approach I prefer--I don't lose weight super fast (I never have, no matter what approach I used), but I lose steadily and I never feel hungry or deprived.

I like your outlook... :)

The book made sense to me with the carb/protein combination and the philosophy behind looking at food in a different way. I am not really looking for a "diet plan" but I think I may try to adopt eating 4 meals a day with the PC combo.