There's SODIUM in celery?????

Options
It occurred to me tonight that it might be helpful for everyone to list the food items where the amount of sodium surprised them. For me, it was celery. USDA says 81 mg of sodium in a cup of celery. CELERY!

What else has a lot of sodium that surprised you???

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think just about any vegetable has sodium, even if it's trace amounts. Think about it. It comes from the ground and what's in the ground? Minerals! Sodium, included. :)
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    Soup! Ridiculous amounts of sodium in canned soup. Better to make your own from scratch using low sodium broth.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Sodium is an essential ion used in almost all cellular processes, this includes plant cells. Sodium is naturally in everything. It's bad when it's put into processed food in excess.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think just about any vegetable has sodium, even if it's trace amounts. Think about it. It comes from the ground and what's in the ground? Minerals! Sodium, included. :)

Likewise all animal products have sodium as well. Hence, there is sodium in everything. It is one of the most common elements on earth. Nature or God or whatever you want to believe in always has a way of balancing things out. So the good news on sodium is... potassium cancels out the water retention effects of sodium. That's why I watch both in my diary.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Breads! I cannot believe the sodium in breads!:noway:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Green Swiss Chard. 313mg sodium per 175g of chard (maybe this is the size of a bunch)?

I was very surprised to learn this the other day... it popped up because I track sodium in MFP.

Most vegetables are very low in sodium

*** Please keep in mind that plant based sodium is part of a healthy diet. If you need to lower your sodium intake, cut back on processed foods with sodium from various chemicals and cheap ingredients, not plant based naturally occurring sodium. ***
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I suppose any of the processed canned foods are gonna be high. I used to love to eat canned mushrooms ... not anymore! And the unsalted ones were icky! LOL
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was totally surprised that there was sodium in celery! If you don't like the salt free canned mushrooms for cooking, try using fresh ones...they're sooo good when they're cooked! Also, you'll probably find that the less salt you eat, the less salt you need on food, so you'll probably eventually get used to the taste of the low sodium mushrooms :)
  • Animike122
    Options
    have you never heard of celery salt? it's great seasoning.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    have you never heard of celery salt? it's great seasoning.

Um... wow. One of those connections I never made! LOL. duh!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Every living thing has soduim in it.