How many people grew up with...?

13»

Replies

• mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    I'm going to venture a guess that finishing our plates filled with home-cooked food (even home-cooked fatty food) is not the driver for obesity in America, but rather the horrid amounts of readily available fast-food (and frequent trips to such places) that we've grown so accustomed to.

I'll expect my children to finish their plates because I will fill it with appropriate portions of nutritional foods necessary for their growth and development.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Me.

Thanks mom for making me FAT! Jk, it's not her fault. Completely mine, she is a wonderful mother and I love her!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    Oh yeah I remember sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else was done because my mom said I had to finish everything before I could go. I notice now my husband will tell me while we are eating dinner and he can see me struggling to finish that if I am full stop eating, but it was drilled into my head to finish everything on my plate. Whether it's related to me being overweight or not I won't be doing that with my kids.

What she said!
    I sat at the table until bed time.

Same for me....there were even times when my mom would get so frustrated with me because I wouldn't eat my baked beans, that she would send me to bed and the next morning I was given my baked beans cold for breakfast.......

I refused to do this with my daughter. I did make her take two bites of everything on her plate, otherwise she never would have tried most vegetables.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    The problem is not with enforcing “eat what’s on your plate”, the problem is with the portions that are put on the plate. I personally raise my children to eat what is on the plate, primarily because I hate waste, but I also don’t give them adult sized portions. If I encourage my children to clean their plate and the plate consists of 2oz chicken, ½ cup broccoli and ¼ cup brown rice, that is a lot different them telling them to eat a whole pizza.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    I'm going to venture a guess that finishing our plates filled with home-cooked food (even home-cooked fatty food) is not the driver for obesity in America, but rather the horrid amounts of readily available fast-food (and frequent trips to such places) that we've grown so accustomed to.

I'll expect my children to finish their plates because I will fill it with appropriate portions of nutritional foods necessary for their growth and development.

Agreed.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    I say that to my kids now - but I also reasonably control their portions. Not everyone gets the same amount, based on their appetites as well as what I've made for dinner that night.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    *Raises hand*

My mom was always sure to throw "There are starving kids in Africa!" in there too.

Yeah, me too. I remember suggesting "mail it to them", that didn't go over well.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    My parents tried to teach me how not to waste food, but they forgot to teach me about portion sizes.

Honestly, I was such a skinny kid, that no one ever thought I'd be an overweight adult, and telling me to eat past what I wanted probably didn't seem like a bad idea at the time.

Now, I try to put less on my plate and get the tupperware out right as I'm dishing it up. I eat half, and put the rest in the fridge or freezer for later. I don't wait until the end of the meal to put the food away unless I'm eating with others that might want seconds.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    i grew up in a house where my stepfather not only forced us to eat everything on our plates.. but purposefully made the portions HUGE. like, two large burgers, yes TWO.. like hand molded giant patties not just the already made patties you buy. he was a mean drunk and also cooked for a living but never hardly ate.. just force fed everyone else! i never make my son eat, he'll eat if hes hungry and if not then no big deal
    My grandmother force feeds, and then she wonders why I don't visit often.

I specifically remember a time when she asked me if I wanted more noodles. I said, "No thank you" and clearly shook my head no, because I know she can't hear very well. She scooped up a giant pile of noodles and threw it on my plate.

I was not pleased.

She gets offended when people don't show up hungry, and she doesn't even cook from scratch. She makes stuff out of cream of whatever and packaged foods.

I love her, but I wish we could bond over something other than food.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    No, and my mother was really proud of it. However her cooking was NOT healthy and she'd get offended when my father asked for things like non-salted butter. She was weird.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    No, and my mother was really proud of it. However her cooking was NOT healthy and she'd get offended when my father asked for things like non-salted butter. She was weird.
This discussion has been closed.