Gotta get going again!

Options
I was doing great with weight loss, totally in the zone with daily exercise and then my knee went crazy. Got diagnosed w/ severe arthritis in my left knee which has sidelined me to 15 min of exercise (non weight bearing). Tomorrow I can start 30 min a day, but the intensity is way down.

I’ve managed to stay w/in a few pounds since May, but feel crappy despite that. I need to be motivated starting now, going back to good choices, honest journaling, and trying to get the most of the little exercise the docs are allowing me to do. I don’t have the same confidence I had before the knee went whacko, and its going to be a life long thing for me (potential knee replacement if Synvisc doesn’t work).

The other tricky thing is it’s so important to be a healthy weight when you have arthritis. I’ve even thought of getting medication to help w/ the weight loss, but that freaks me out too. I have managed to log in daily on MFP (I think I’m at 200 days), which has helped keep me in check but I don’t feel too in control anymore!!

Replies

• dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am here for support and motivation if you would like. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't have arthritis but I'm struggling with knee problems too. I think we finally have answers although there isn't much I can do but be careful with what I do. I'm just back after 2.5 weeks off thanks to my knee and am really having a hard time getting back into the groove with working out. I used to love going to the gym but now I've got to force myself to go in the mornings. Hang in there, I'm sure once you find a new normal as far as your workouts go it'll be easier!!
  • chezst33
    chezst33 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes, I have to embrace my new normal-- I'm still angry at said new normal!!
  • sbrown44
    sbrown44 Posts: 82
    Options
    Can you look into water aerobics in your area? I have back issues and that was a suggestion by my dr. That way you don't feel like you are undoing all of your hard work.
  • chezst33
    chezst33 Posts: 15
    Options
    Can you look into water aerobics in your area? I have back issues and that was a suggestion by my dr. That way you don't feel like you are undoing all of your hard work.

Yep, I did water aerobics with a broken toe, and did do it a few weeks ago. Was sore after but it is a safe exercise and plan to do it at least one time per week. I belong to the YMCA here, and it's one of the free classes available to members.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    oooh, also check around to see if there's a water Zumba class near you. One of the gyms here does a water zumba class and I wish I could afford a membership so I could go!