Plateau

Options
Hello!

I am 2lb from losing 5 stone (some lost prior to starting MFP) and after consistently losing weight I'm beginning to plateau and have been about the same weight for 2/3 weeks now. I know this is all part of the game we are playing but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to kick start the weight loss again before my motivation leaves me.

I exercise for about 6-9 hours per week (although have picked up a shin injury so I have been doing a less for the last week) doing a combo of spinning, boxing, general gym, running training, body pump (and swimming since shin-gate)

Having a calorie intake of 1200 per day I can't really see how I can shave from there. Do I need to just ride it out and the weight loss will come again or do I need to change/do more/less of anything

Thanks xxx

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to take a day or two off and eat as many calories as you feel like. It might kick start your metabolism.
    I was plateauing for about 3 weeks and once I got past it the weight is coming off regularly again. You are doing so great! I would love to see before and after pictures.

I am learning not to fixate on the goal, but to enjoy the weight I am now. I have another 15.pounds to go, but am I enjoying being 20 pounds liter than I was? You betcha.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The key is to NOT let motivation leave you, no matter what. It may be depressing to hear, but I suffered through over 6 months of plateau, despite exercising for 90-120 minutes 5 days a week and running over 20 miles a week and staying within my calories (also on weight watchers). So, sometimes it happens. The point is to focus on maintaining where you are at and not giving up your motivation or your commitment. Remember that this isn't a temporary thing - weight loss and fitness - but a lifetime commitment to keep you healthy for life and so, you have a lifetime to do this. While I was in my plateau, I did continue to lose inches and my body really started to get shape, plus I went down 2 more sizes, etc....so remember all the non-scale victories, also. I again started to lose finally so I was rewarded and am now down almost 79 pounds. It is worth the effort. Hang in there!! :wink:
  • tammydspice
    Options
    KEEP GOING!!! I just broke my plateau...Jan it started!! Now the weight has started going away again, just keep going, stay motivated and it will start again!!!

best of luck, xxxooo, Tam
  • Dani_Scott
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts! It's always good to know that others have had the same problem. I think i am eating enough, I do try to eat more when exercising and have 3 meals a day with snack in between such as fruit so all in all i think im doing the right things. I didnt mention that I was also diagnosed with Graves disease in March so it could be my anti-thyroid medication slowing things down a bit but I think it's just a good ol standard plateau.

I will keep at it and should be back at the gym full time this week so fingers crossed xxx