Fish- Healthy fats??

Options
natijade
natijade Posts: 146 Member
I've read more than once about how healthy fish is for you and I really love Mackeral so I bought some and I've been planning to eat it the last few days but whenever I put it in my food diary it takes me well over my fat and cals for the day,which puts me off having it! Should I just eat it regardless for my health? Will it hinder my weightloss too much?

Replies

• catcoot1
    catcoot1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some great low calorie fish is wild alaskan salmon (~100 calories in 4 oz with 20g protein), or tilapia. Tilapia is a great great great weight loss aid. Sometimes it helps to think of the the net calories of the food. I know we have to stay under a certain amount of calories, but lots of times if something is really good for me, and it has tons of protein, I'll do some math like: 20g protein x 4cal/gram = 80 calories from protein. So it's only 20 calories that are not going to be used up or burned right away. Just something to think about.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    Did it have one of those blobs of butter on it? that always makes it more.

Also do you plan your diary for the following day? Its a great way to play around a bit and see what you can and cant have. For example if you planned to have the fish for 2moro dinner time it would tell you how much you have left for brekkie and lunch and you could plan to have something lower fat.

x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I had a quick look at your diary to see what type of mackerel you meant, and I see it's the smoked stuff that comes in a pakcet.

I love it too, but I tend to only eat half a pack at one go, usually with a large salad..

Plus you're right, it is quite high in fats, but they're really good for you omega oils. You could just ignore it this once, or make sure you don't also have a fat-heavy lunch like ceasar dressing, if you're intending to eat the mackerel that day.

(PS how did you get a glass of wine to be only 1 calorie , lol, :laugh: )
  • natijade
    Options
    Hiya, I had a quick look at your diary to see what type of mackerel you meant, and I see it's the smoked stuff that comes in a pakcet.

I love it too, but I tend to only eat half a pack at one go, usually with a large salad..

Plus you're right, it is quite high in fats, but they're really good for you omega oils. You could just ignore it this once, or make sure you don't also have a fat-heavy lunch like ceasar dressing, if you're intending to eat the mackerel that day.

(PS how did you get a glass of wine to be only 1 calorie , lol, :laugh: )

Yeah I'm only having half a pack BF having the other half. Might end up just having a third of it. Having it with steamed veggies.
    Didn't have a choice with dinner either am meeting my friend at Nandos and it's pretty much the best option!
    Think I'll just let myself off and aim to stay the same this week rather than trying to lose.
    Will prob try and stick to lower fat fresh fish like haddock from now on...don't really like salmon unfortunately.
    HAHA! I didn't notice the wine! Luckily I didn't drink it in the end anyway, haha.
  • natijade
    Options
    Did it have one of those blobs of butter on it? that always makes it more.

Also do you plan your diary for the following day? Its a great way to play around a bit and see what you can and cant have. For example if you planned to have the fish for 2moro dinner time it would tell you how much you have left for brekkie and lunch and you could plan to have something lower fat.

x
    No but they taste sooo goood! haha :laugh:

I don't normally plan ahead because I normally have the same thing for dinner (chicken salad) about 300cals and then just about a 500cal tea. But if I don't have my normal dinner like if I go out somewhere, and tea's already planned it all goes to hell! :(
  • natijade
    Options
    Some great low calorie fish is wild alaskan salmon (~100 calories in 4 oz with 20g protein), or tilapia. Tilapia is a great great great weight loss aid. Sometimes it helps to think of the the net calories of the food. I know we have to stay under a certain amount of calories, but lots of times if something is really good for me, and it has tons of protein, I'll do some math like: 20g protein x 4cal/gram = 80 calories from protein. So it's only 20 calories that are not going to be used up or burned right away. Just something to think about.

Oooh, thanks that really helps, didn't know that it was grams x4 for protein cals! This mackeral still isn't great even with that applied, but the haddock i had the other day is great, and that's really useful info! Thanks!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Eat the mackeral! Fats, especially the ones in fish, are VERY good for you. More so than any whole grain bread or pasta.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Half the pack is only 75g I think, so you won't be over by that much.