At a healthy BMI, what's next?

Options
So I just reached my "normal" BMI, where I am only a few tenths from being considered overweight, so I still have about 5-10 lbs to lose. My question is how should I alter my calorie intake? I know the last 5-10 lbs will be harder to lose so I change my weight loss goal to lose .5lb a week. I guess my question is should I keep working out the same amount and keep the eating only 1200 calories or should I eat 1500 calories and work more on strength training?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I just reached my "normal" BMI, where I am only a few tenths from being considered overweight, so I still have about 5-10 lbs to lose. My question is how should I alter my calorie intake? I know the last 5-10 lbs will be harder to lose so I change my weight loss goal to lose .5lb a week. I guess my question is should I keep working out the same amount and keep the eating only 1200 calories or should I eat 1500 calories and work more on strength training?

The closer you are to your goal, the more you want to eat. Also, make sure you are changing up yoru fitness routine every 30 days so your body doesn't adjust to it. Below is a link that should help evaluate where you need to be in terms of caloric needs. But to really dive into we need to see your food diary and need to know what your workout program is?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It is the hardest to lose!! It has been so slow for me! But, I would eat 1500 calories and do 4 days of cardio and 2 days of strength. Putting muscle on your body will transform your metabolism and having you burning more calories at rest and during your cardio sessions.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My food and exercise diary for the last two weeks hasn't been a good example of my weight loss journey. I have basically been maintaining for a few weeks giving myself a break, but I'm ready to get back at it.
  • momma_roo
    Options
    I will try 1500 cals for two weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

1500 isn't necessarily the right now for you. check the link I put in there and compare it to your activity level to get a better picture. The major of the time, people under-estimate the calories they need.
  • momma_roo
    Options

1500 isn't necessarily the right now for you. check the link I put in there and compare it to your activity level to get a better picture. The major of the time, people under-estimate the calories they need.

Yes, thank you for the link! I bookmarked it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    At the very least set your calories at your BMR. That will still allow you to lose weight. You may need to go higher than your BMR, but that is the lowest I would suggest you go.