In a rut - how have you pulled yourself out?

Options
Ugh...I am in a weight loss rut here! Frustrating and maddening. Coming here and seeing you all doing wonderful really does help.

Have you ever been in a weight loss rut (or even reverse) and how have you pulled yourself out?

I know I can get passed this, the will is there, I guess it must not be strong enough to actually make some changes. I'm definitely not giving up or letting go...hanging in. Would love to hear how you have pulled yourself out or passed times like these.

Thank you :)

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    do something different. do a different workout. take a group fitness class. just mix up your routine!
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    Well, it looks like you had an injury so that's probably what's going on with your rut! Sometimes when I get stuck or lack motivation, I take whatever thought is making me want to skip the gym or eat a big basket of cheesy fries and make it extreme. For example, if I'm craving cheesy fries, I think about what would happen if I just ate cheesy fries for every meal, every day. I envision those effects and it's often enough to steer me away from them. Good luck getting back on the horse!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I'm there with you! You just have to keep trying. My workouts have been non-existent in the past month. But my gym bag is packed and am going after work. Trying to make good choices for food today. Wish me luck! :)
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    do something different. do a different workout. take a group fitness class. just mix up your routine!

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Pulling myself out of a rut: I joined an MFP challenge; it began today. I'll do better with my eating and logging in because my teammates are tied to me and me to them. I am not usually a "group" person....but I needed something to help me snap out of a tough July; this is it. Don't give up--find an accountability partner and keep going!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My awesome MFP pal,

I have been there...several times. In fact, the realization lately that I don't have a workout area anymore has really hit me hard. But I think about how far I have come (and you should too!). I know I feel so much better and our bodies are transforming before our eyes. It's pretty incredible. Your health is worth this sometimes difficult journey, and I am right here with you! Look to your friends' journals and try to get ideas on what is working for them. For me, one thing that is key is making two meals on the weekends that I can eat throughout the week, so I can stick to those healthy options. I also stock up on healthy snacks so that I'm all set. I hope this helps! Realize that this journey will never be over...it's a lifetime commitment. There will be ups and downs, but you will get there if you hold on!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Change up your diet and exercise routine. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and didn't track anything. I still made semi healthy to mostly healthy choices, but I didn't count calories and when I got back, I gained a pound, but the following week, I lost 6 and I've been on a downward hill since then. I have lost every week since I've been back from vacation. Granted - 6 lbs in one week was a phenomenon, but from a half pound to 3 pounds a week, I am pretty pleased with breaking through the plateau.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm there with you! You just have to keep trying. My workouts have been non-existent in the past month. But my gym bag is packed and am going after work. Trying to make good choices for food today. Wish me luck! :)

Way to go! One day at a time. You can do it.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    good post ! just change it up! are you doing the same workouts all the time? even eating the same foods or the same amount of foods everyday?? when your body gets to doing the same things all the time, it stops changing! Research zig-zagging your calories (i have found this really helpful!) and also try a new exercise routine.. like, go play tennis w/ a friend if you don't do that regularly or go swimming with your family! you'll have lots of fun AND possibly get out of that rut!
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place as you now, I think the important when you've lost all motivation is not to slip back into your old ways. Keep coming on here and concentrate on maintaining your weight. As long as you're not putting any weight back on it's a positive thing. What I've found helps sometimes is to write down all the reasons you want to lose more weight and write down what you think is stopping you at this moment in time and how you're going to make changes. Then set yourself a really small goal like to lose 2lbs, seeing your weight go down on the scales is one of the biggest motivators I think to keep going.

You can get there, it doesn't matter how long it takes just stick with it x
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. Honestly, if I just keep going over it in my head, I can talk myself out of doing the right thing, food wise or with exercise. Plus, I coach myself to do something, if I can't do a whole workout, just do a little. And next thing you know, I've done more than I planned!!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Change things up! Try new healthy foods. Try a new exercise routine or new class. I have tried so many new foods and recipes since I started on my weight loss journey. Some I liked, some I did not like but it has been fun experimenting (my poor hubby is a human guinea pig). I started out going to Curves (still do M-F) and after a few months added Zumba twice a week (T & Th). Today I started the C25K running program. I am going to do it M, W, F. On Saturdays, I change it up with walking or going to the community pool.
  • DietPep1978
    Options

Great job on packing that gym bag! Hope the workout today is amazing!
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great support and sharing your strategies!

The don't over think it comment really struck me. This is exaclty what i do. I think about it, think about it and think about it. I create such pressure for myself that I begin to think of it with the wrong mindset. Instead of enjoying I set up crazy goals and almost jump to the opposite extreme. I need to approach this with a more relaxed, fun attitude. I do enjoy working out and I love the feeling I get from accomplishing a great cardio session, family workout or weight training session.

Thanks again. I find it really helps hearing that I am not the only who experiences these times and that it is possible to move past these crazy moments.