I-Pod question

Options
smuehlbauer
smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
I have an I-Pod - and I don't have the ability to really work with it. It's not registered to my computer. Long story.
If I wipe out all the music, do I have to use I-tunes on it? Or can I use a different program to download music? Or am I screwed?
Does anyone know my options?
Thanks!
Steph
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Download Senuti. It's only $15 or something like that and you can draw all of the music off of your iPod onto your iTunes.
    -wtk
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If you have itunes on your computer, you can easily drag song files from elsewhere on your computer and drop them into itunes. Sync and go!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You can plug in your IPod, go to your folder options on your computer, show hidden folders, locate your IPod and the music folder, then copy and paste the music into another folder. This only works on the older ones. I know that I'm unable to do this with my IPhone.
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can register your iPod to up to 5 computers.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can't unregister it from the persons computer that downloaded all the music on it for me.
    I-Tunes is not an option.
    My questions is, once it's been registered to I-tunes, can I start over and use a different MP3 loader or am I stuck with I-tunes? (which I can't maintain)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Isn't itunes free?

download program called idump.

copy music from ipod to your computer.

download itunes.

Add all music to itunes.

sync with your computer.

Maybe?
  • arieltheincredible
    arieltheincredible Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have an I-Pod - and I don't have the ability to really work with it. It's not registered to my computer. Long story.
    If I wipe out all the music, do I have to use I-tunes on it? Or can I use a different program to download music? Or am I screwed?
    Does anyone know my options?
    Thanks!
    Steph
    :flowerforyou:

ok if you haven't already figured it out i can help :D i worked for apple as tech support or iPod and got calls like this all the time lol. Oh also the only way to put music on the iPod is through iTunes but that doesn't mean you have to purchase the music .I just have a few questions though:

is the only reason you cannot use itunes is because you don't want to lose the music on it or is it because it needs to stay synced or registered with the other computer?
    -If it is just because of the music you can use a free program called sharepod, you can also use idump like the other post said but share pod is better but apple will never admit that, to take the music off the ipod to the new computer. Also if you bought it from itunes u can transfer the music quickly. Once u get all that music off you can sync the iPod on the new computer you can sync the iPod no problem.

- if it is because you have to keep the iPod registered to the other computer but also want music on ur computer on the iPod too you can put the iPod in manually manage on the original computer and manually add music from your computer onto the iPod.

If you need help just ask or if it is nothing like i explained or another situation just ask there are so many different ways to share music between computers through iTunes .

If you do not want to use iTunes because you think you have to pay that is not what the program is. Yes, you can purchase music on the iTunes store through the iTunes program but that is not necessary.i have iPods , a mac and iTunes and have bought like 10 songs out of the 1000+ i have lol. I used programs like lime wire before the lawsuit situation but now i just download my music from youtube.

IMPORTANT NOTES :
    1. before going in an importing the music from the iPod or where ever you decide to download music make sure you have an option checked off in iTunes !!! PC: edit>preferences > advanced>check off keep iTunes media folder organized and copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library !!! having these two things checked off with save you a lot of headaches in the future. On a MAC same steps except instead of edit go to iTunes > preferences...... etc.
    2. always back up your computer too many calls are people who have lost their music library because their computer crashed or got a virus etc.... here is an article on how to back up to an external hard drive http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 and also in that article you will see links on how to back up to a dvd or cd.