Eating out is depressing

Options
2»

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It can be depressing, but I am finding ways to make it less depressing

Ask for them to cook it with no MSG(Lowers the sodium)
    Ask for the sauce on the side
    Eat less of it, take it home for lunch the next day, share it with a friend :)

I find breads are what put me over more than anything.
    As others have stated, i try and make sure I get a good exercise bout in before going out for dinner, but I also know if I go over, it's JUST one day :) Tomorrow will be different

I love chinese from a small hole in the wall place(I don't like PF Changs), my problem is there's no calories listed anywhere for this mom& Pop place
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that it's your lifestyle you are changing. It's not just a "diet". So you need to learn how to incorporate restaurant food without going overboard for life. I agree excercise extra or eat less that day before your restaurant meal. Portion size, excercise, lots of water. It's all common sense.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Going to PF Changs today for lunch (which I used to love!) but looked up their nutrition info and my usual lunch bowl of sesame chicken and brown rice is over 1,000 calories!!! And it's always a small bowl- I'm usually still hungry after I eat it! What's up with that? How is it possible to pack so many calories in such a little bowl??

I find that carbohydrates make me hungry. I think the reason is they spike your blood sugar level, and when it crashes, you feel hungry. I've long heard that "Chinese food doesn't stick with you". I chalk this up to the rice. Those carbs jack your BSL, and then it crashes, so you feel hungry, even though you may have eaten a lot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When you mix carbs with protein, then it doesn't spike your blood sugar that much, so it's a nice thought, but that would only be true if you ONLY ate the rice.
  • DawnyB1210
    Options
    I know what you mean about eating out being depressing. I've had to come to the realization that if I want to lose weight and be healthy, then I have to change. Change does not come easy. It's about making choices and being able to feel satisfied with reasonable substitutions. This is HUGE for me. I usually start feeling very anxious on Fridays because I know that the weekend is coming and It's difficult for me because I'm not following the usual controlled routine that I'm on M-F. On Friday evening, I ended up at a brick oven pizza joint with my hubby and kids. The idea was to not spend a fortune, so we ordered a whole pizza to share. Here I am thinking to myself that it's OK to have one splurge a week, but if I had to choose, it wouldn't be meatball pizza. I really wanted to order a salad and have a single veggie slice. I didn't want to be a party pooper, so I went along with the "popular vote" and had 2 slices of meatball. I woke up early the next morning and went for a LOOOOng walk. That afternoon found me at a New England seafood restaurant for lunch. It's one of my favorite spots..lobster rolls and every fried seafood imaginable. After a lot of going back and forth, I ordered a shrimp cocktail and a cup of gazpacho and watched my husband inhale fried clams and the world's best onion rings. It kind of sucked for me..however...when I got on the scale this morning, I was astonished and happy to report that the numbers had gone down. After 40 years, it's finally dawned on me..in order to get what I want, I have to want it enough to change.