Gym group session questions

Options
Ok, so I go to the gym a lot. I like to take the classes offered because they don't allow me to accidentally slack off. But I don't know quite how to classify them on MFP. A little help please?

Abs & Glutes
- 30 minutes
- Lots of aerobic in-place activities, such as hopping, butt-kicks,and jogging that resembles a Broadway dance number
- Lots of lunging and squatting activities
- Incorporation of 7 pound weights to make the lunges and squats more difficult
- Weighted and unweighted ab work (varieties of crunch-like things)

Abs & Arms
- 30 minutes
- Lots of aerobic in-place activities, such as hopping, punches, and jogging that resembles a Broadway dance number
- Arm weight activities, both with weights and a band. You know, bicep stuff, triceps stuff

Body Sculpting
- 45 minutes
- 5 minutes of jump rope
- High-intensity step exercises
- Lunges, squats, weight work with bands
- Bench press with 6-7 pound weights
- Other weighted activities such as weighted donkey kicks
- Ab work (crunches, planks, etc.)

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I go to the gym a lot. I like to take the classes offered because they don't allow me to accidentally slack off. But I don't know quite how to classify them on MFP. A little help please?

Abs & Glutes
    - 30 minutes
    - Lots of aerobic in-place activities, such as hopping, butt-kicks,and jogging that resembles a Broadway dance number

Abs & Arms
    - 30 minutes
    - Lots of aerobic in-place activities, such as hopping, punches, and jogging that resembles a Broadway dance number
    - Arm weight activities, both with weights and a band. You know, bicep stuff, triceps stuff

Body Sculpting
    - 45 minutes
    - 5 minutes of jump rope
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Abs & Glutes
    - 30 minutes

Abs & Arms
    - 30 minutes

Body Sculpting
    - 45 minutes
    - 5 minutes of jump rope
    Your gym doesn't happen to have a Kiosk for keeping track? I do realize many on here have shared they feel the machines over reward us with burned cals but it would help a bit to at least know where you stand....

But as they all say that now own one....HRM is the thing to own to TRULY get what YOU are burning for your body! I have yet to get one but it's somewhere on the lower end of my gotta get sometime list....sadly it's not near the top:laugh: :cry: :bigsmile:

Check out some previious threads on the Polar HRM or what others have found that work great for them:flowerforyou:

Best of luck:bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Very difficult to pin point a general range of calories you'd burn in such varied exercises.
    Maybe see if anyone in the class has an HRM? They could give you a general idea of calories burned.
  • itzcool4me
    Options
    If it's not cardio, then I don't even record it. Sad, I know, but my heart rate isn't really increasing very much. So even when I do a 30 minute ab lab class, it's not recorded. Even though it's burning more calories than if I were being sedentary, I feel like it's making up for the overexaggeration of calories burnt and underexaggeration of calories consumed that can end up occurring.

That's the only advice I can offer. I've never had a HRM so I can't say anything on that. Even though toning is good, it's better to try to get some cardio in there. In burns a lot more calories too! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    See, that's the thing...it is cardio, because you do not stop moving, and by the end of it I'm sweating buckets. I just don't know how to log it because it's not as easily definable as treadmills. It's not like pilattes where you feel worked but not really "pushed." It's a lot of bouncing around and jumping.

I'll look into a heart monitor, but right now I'm a broke-*kitten* college student.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Have you asked the instructor? I used to have one that tought spin and water aerobics, and after we were done, she'd be able to tell us a guestimate of how much we burned. Now, it was only a guestimate, because everyone kind of does their own pace and some people do lighter workouts than others, but it might give you an idea.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    See, that's the thing...it is cardio, because you do not stop moving, and by the end of it I'm sweating buckets. I just don't know how to log it because it's not as easily definable as treadmills. It's not like pilattes where you feel worked but not really "pushed." It's a lot of bouncing around and jumping.

I'll look into a heart monitor, but right now I'm a broke-*kitten* college student.

not a college student..but I hear ya on the broke part... :wink:

Gotta love that excercise keeps down our stress level though:drinker: