Fasting: Good or Bad?

Options
So I was reading a book yesterday, that states Fasting every once in a while (at least 3 days) is good for you because it cleanses your system. ....Not eating for 3 days seems unhealthy, if you ask me! But..I thought I might give it a try, drink only water and flush my system out!

What do you think..is this a bad idea??

Replies

• niste_ketlin
    Options
    Didn't mean to post
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to cleanse your system of?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Not eating for 3 days is not a good idea. I don't care what any book says. 1 day of fasting is a different story. Also people do daily intermittent fasting where they fast for 16 out of the 24 hours in a day. That's fine as well.
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    From what I read: your digestive system will be cleaner. The villi in the intestines are cleaner, the stomach lining is cleaner, the colon is cleaner. Food is absorbed and utilized better in a clean digestive system.

You will find that you are not hungry when you end your fast (after three days, hunger usually abates). You are not hungry, but the desire to eat is there. There is a big difference between actual hunger and desire for food.

Learn to control the desire, learn to eat only when you are physically hungry.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I say good. I try to do it every 3 to 4 months for at least 2-3 days. I fast using http://www.naturessecret.com/5-day-fasting-cleanse.asp
    its for 5 days, but I only do it for the 2-3 days. i dont use the bulky fiber, but fiber one tablets, and I dont get crazy hungry. I do it on days its low key, and walking is the only exercise. Allow your self to eat clean for a week straight if you can before starting. after the fast, start up on whole grain rice, grilled chicken breast, healthy foods, veggies. it helps me break bad habbits, and rids any bloat, and cleans all the crap, out of your body, and i do mean "crap" . I like this kit, or you can just make healthy shakes, make sure you take a multi vitamin while you fast, good luck! I'm prob going to do one in a few weeks, so I can support you if you want:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So I was reading a book yesterday, that states Fasting every once in a while (at least 3 days) is good for you because it cleanses your system. ....Not eating for 3 days seems unhealthy, if you ask me! But..I thought I might give it a try, drink only water and flush my system out!

What do you think..is this a bad idea??
    Short term fasting has it's benefits, but your system is always "cleansing" itself. If not, then you would die from things like urea and bacteria.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Fasting for as much as 24hrs can be good if you refeed heavy afterward. IF is a great way to lose weight, but that generally suggests a 16 hr fast.

Fasting for 3 days will get into starvation and could be a real problem for your metabolism.