Something besides peanut butter, please ...

Options
One of my staples in the morning is a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter. That being said, 190 calories is a lot to sacrifice on peanut butter. Any ideas on what to use besides peanut butter?

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    PB2.

Lately, I've tried a smoked gouda spread that's okay. Also, a thin slice of cheddar and some apple slices is nice.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What about spray butter or non fat cream cheese or low sugar jelly? I've never had an english muffin so I'm not sure what they taste like!
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my fav is an avocado, or tomatoes and basil and a little mozzarella :)
  • felicia1105
    felicia1105 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that Nutella stuff, but I have not tried it. It may be less calories. It's supposed to be some type of chocolate-hazelnut spread.
  • happydayzz
    happydayzz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welch's 20% less sugar grape jelly. Had it this morning. <33 YUM.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Lights are DELICIOUS. They have a variety of flavor with only 35 calories per wedge
  • _Sonia_
    _Sonia_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Light cream cheese? Sugar-free jam? Sub the muffin for a bagel thin or sandwich thin? If you're in the US, Trader Joe's has something called "Better than Peanut Butter" that has half the calories! I'm enjoying that. :)
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    What about a chopped up hard boiled egg? Or half an avocado? Both super filling:) I got so sick of eating peanut butter every morning so I would switch between an egg, avocado or just plain cheddar cheese on my english muffin.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that Nutella stuff, but I have not tried it. It may be less calories. It's supposed to be some type of chocolate-hazelnut spread.

Nutella is 200 calories per 2 tbls
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Lights are DELICIOUS. They have a variety of flavor with only 35 calories per wedge

second this, they are awesome.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Why not ditch the muffin for porridge? or yogurt with fruit?

You could have an egg/bacon with your muffin or maybe a jam of some kind, marmite or vegemite or nutella xx
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use Better'n Peanut Butter... 100 calories for 2 tbsp. It's a little hard to find but I found it at Target

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.php

Hope that helps!

ps. I love english muffins with peanut butter
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My fiance has a honey wheat english muffin toasted, then a tiny amount of butter, one slice of pepperjack cheese, and two slices of honey roasted turkey. Then she microwaves it for about 14 seconds on high to melt the cheese a bit. I think she calculates the breakfast at 300 calories and it's enough for her to go on until she takes lunch at 2PM (we wake up at 4am and she eats at around 5 so that's a long burn for energy).
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Try other nut butters, or sunflower butter. I wouldn't give up on the PB completely though. I eat it every morning and because it is high in unsaturated fats it can help aid in weight loss. Also, check the type of PB you are using. If it is not organic, it's probably made with some type of hydrogenated oil or has HFCS or some corn syrup. That is more of a killer than 190 calories is!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact thing for breakfast and I actually measured out my PB. Have you ever done that? Because a serving is usually 2 tbsp and honestly, that is a LOT of PB. I can get away with one TBSP and its about 185 for my muffin ( I use the 90 cal sara lee ones) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • spacevulture
    spacevulture Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One serving of Nutella is 2 tbsp. (37g). That's 200 calories. Also, Nutella is just plain bad for you.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Butter on 35 calorie wheat bread. The Almond Butter is really good.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    What about maybe some reduced fat cream cheese, or a slice of cheese, or jam/jelly? Can't think of anything else off the top of my head at the moment.
  • brvanover
    Options
    PB2. Taste exactly like peanut butter and has only 45 calories per 2 tbsp
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do you have to have the english muffin? I have found that yogurt in the morning fills me up! You could also try Greek yogurt which is higher in protein....but....just an idea. I was eating different things...and found thta I was very hungry by lunch. For example, if I just ate fruit....I was starving an hour later! If I had cereal...it just wasnt sticking with me! There are so mnay different flavored yogurts now....it is almost like a dessert! Just a thought. : ) Sorry if I didnt help....: )