Thought I looked better, but pics show otherwise.....

Options
I had begun watching what I ate and exercising since March of this year for myself, as well as my freinds wedding in June. And by the wedding rolled around I had lost approximately 20 pounds, and felt great, and thought I looked great too. Well I have now seen the pictures from the wedding and I look just terrible - I thought I looked good that day and all of the pictures are disappointing. And now have zero motivation to continue to exercise and eat well.
I know you are supposed to feel good and healthy - and I did but now I feel like it was all a waste. I know 20 pounds isn't a whole lot, but I was proud, and now I feel like my efforts didn't show.
Any words of advice on how to keep on trucking??
Thanks!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Did you compare those to pictures 20 pounds heavier? It is all relative. So you don't like where you are - yet! That is why you are still working to lose weight.
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    How much do you have to lose hun?
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. A couple of years ago I lost almost 60 pounds. I was fitting into smaller sizes and feeling GREAT about myself. Went to a party and saw pictures of myself. I still had a lot of weight to lose but I thought I should have looked better than I did....I started cheating on my diet and before you know it I gained back all but 15 pounds of it! I am starting over pretty much...Looking back, if I had kept it up I would have the body I had been wanting by now...Stay motivated!!! You can do it!!!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It can be hard when you lose that much weight and dont see any results...dont let that get you down! It can be hard, but dont throw away all the work that you have already put into this! You may not be where you want to be yet, but with determination and hard work, you will get there in time! :happy:

I am the same way, when I lose weight, I want to be able to tell....maybe you need to throw in some more strength training type workouts to help tone you up ?? Just a suggestion, I know that the last time i tried to lose weight I only lose about 8 pounds but I lost A LOT of inches over all, which felt good. Even when I didnt see the scale move much, I saw the results in my muscle mass and saw my body fat percentage going down! :wink:

Dont give up, if looking and feeling great is your ultimate goal, it will take some time!! It really will! Also remember, YOU are your worst critic! I bet you dont look as bad as you think! :smile:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I find that thinking that the problem is not going to go away helps. If i give up on it now, it will just be waiting for me.

So although pics may not be making you feel good at the moment, unless you stick with it they never will. One day you will get fed up with it again and start all over.

20lbs is a lot of weight and a big achievement not to be sniffed at, but looking at your goals you are still only half way there.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Go look at some pictures of you before you lost the 20 pounds so that you have something to compare the new pictures to. I have lost 24 pounds and I can't tell when I look at myself so I know how you feel. It's frustrating. But you have to keep going. You have to remember that you will look much better and feel much better about yourself when you get to your goal weight, but if you quit now then you will never see that goal weight! Make sure you give yourself a gift when you get to your goal weight. Whether it be an ice cream or a new pair of jeans or whatever! And make sure you take pictures along the way so that you can compare! Good luck. Keep your chin up.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    The way I see it, you only have two options. Continue the path to weight loss and put the wedding pictures behind you, or give up and go back to the way you were eating/living, and put the 20 lbs back on and maybe another 20. Sorry, but worrying about a snapshot of one day on your path is counter-productive. Hang in there. You can do it. :-)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    it is a journey. Sometimes it's slow. And honestly? Self-perception is a b!#@h. When I weighed 122 pounds, I thought I looked fat in photos. You are your own worst critic, and I'm sure you look way better than you're giving yourself credit for!

In other news, studies have shown that heavy people who exercise regularly are actually healthier than thin people who never exercise. The thin people who never exercise keep fat around their internal organs, and the people who DO exercise (heavy or thin) blast that internal organ fat and are much healthier internally!

Keep measurements of your waist, in addition to weighing yourself. The scale is not the end-all be-all.

I hope this helps. Don't give up! Your body loves you for making good decisions!
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Be proud of the 20 you lost!!! When I see pics and think I still look awful that gives me a push to keep going!! Keep up the good work and one day you will see those wedding pics as a progression pic!!!
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    20 lbs is alot, don't downgrade what you've accomplished! Why don't you compare pictures of you from the wedding with pictures of yourself before you lost the weight? That might help or use this as motivation to push yourself even harder.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 I think the same thing about pictures. I can look in the mirror and feel like I look pretty good.. until I see a pic. The thing is cameras can be evil. It all depends on the angle and sometimes it's tricky to find the right one. No matter what anyone says cameras DO lie.

Don't let it get you down! If you stop now, you might be unhappy no matter what. 20 pounds is a lot and that in itself is something to be very proud of!
  • dboyd1981
    Options
    But if you hadn't lost that 20 you would have felt even worse. Now you lose another 20 for the next set of pictures and then another 20 and so on. Its really hard because you never think you look as good as you really do and I bet others thought you were great, but the bottom line is you are trying and making a difference. None of us got here overnight and you wont go back quick either but you should be SO proud of your great accomplishment and keep moving forward. You have friends here so if you nedd any help or motivation you can always ask! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • lucythe
    lucythe Posts: 33
    Options
    The mind is a powerful thing. Just keep doing the right thing, you felt great until you saw a picture and were then disappointed - all the more reason to keep working at your goal. Pictures can be as bad as the scale for altering your mood, and that's all it is, a mood and it will change again, just stick to it, keep a positive attitude and you'll be successful - and definitely more happy during this journey.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says "you're not there YET" I lost 30lbs last year and am doing a great job at keeping it off and everyone in my family says I am looking great. BUT yesterday I too saw a picture of my bf and I and although my shoulders don't so bulky my arms are still thick. My first thought was I need to work harder. Don't get stuck on how you look now, keep working hard. Good Luck you can do it.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself! You have done great so far, and no matter how much further you need to go, at least you are well on the way. I was frustrated at how much weight I had to lose to drop 1 size in jeans, but it did finally come. I still hate the way I look, but the tape measure tells me I've lost inches all over. Measure yourself, or have some clothes that are a bit small and celebrate when they fit you, because the day will come when they do fit! Try not to get discouraged. We've all been there. Chin up. :)
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    sweetie....don't give up. Also when you look a those wedding pics, smile. It was your wedding day and i bet you were absolutly beautiful!!!
    I was about 210, 6 months pregnant in my wedding pics, and I hated... truly hated my dress but it was all that fit. Still, I had to get past looking at just myself, and see how happy my smile is, how in love my husband looked and all the family that joined us on that amazing day!
    as far as the weight loss, it will come with time. I'm down 40 pounds and barely see a difference. However other people on here have seen my before and Now pics and tell me there is a big difference. It's true that we see ourselves in a different light, and we are much more critical on ourselves. We see every little bump, curve, roll and imperfection. Stuff other people don't notice until it is pointed out. Good luck. Hang in here and keep going!
  • KouklaTheo
    Options
    Pictures LIE! You hang in there, girl. If you lost 20 lbs you MUST look great! It's a scientific fact... Ignore those stupid photos. Cameras are notorious for making people fatter and older, even in the hands of a professional photographer. That's why there is a whole industry bult up around covering those 115 lb teen age models in five pounds of "natural" make up and then airbrushing them before they go to print anyway. No one is more critical about us than we ourselves. If you felt that great about your self I bet you really must have been "HOT"! keep up the good work. Twiggy is long gone. Don't even think about her anymore.... Just get healthy and stay that way. Don't let anyone or anything shake your well earned pride in your fantastic accomplishment. Meanwhile, if you are worried about another upcomming photo shoot, just wear black, stretch up yoru neck, and stand very tall. It always works, especially if everyone else is in bright or white colors... I once had a photo taken with several other women, all of whom were 15-20 lbs heavier than me and looked it, but in the photo I looked like the larger one because I was in silver and they were all in black...
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here - park the bit about how you look right now for a second - look at that photo and add 20lb- you won't like that at all - so celebrate how well you've done and think "just think, in another xx months it will be another 20, and I'll be really proud then in another new set of smaller clothes" You're on the right track, and 20lb is a fantastic achievement, almost double mine, well done you!!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up for a job well done! You may not like what those pics are showing you but you aren't done yet either! I admire you for coming so far! Like to consensus of the replies you've gotten, add that 20 to the new pics and you'll appreciate how far you have gotten so far! Give yourself a pat on the back instead of a kick in the butt you are amazing!!! :happy: