Still Counting Calories? Your Weight-Loss Plan May Be Outdat

Options
2»

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    All articles are to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, my research and my personal experience have shown me otherwise.

First 6 months: counted calories but was still eating processed food, low-fat, sugar-free, etc.; weighed food; was hungry ALL THE TIME. Exercised ALL THE TIME. Lost 9.6lbs (went from 130 to 120 - told at this time I have to do more strength training to continue to lose weight - have to increase my muscle mass)
    End of April: decided to drop carbs, stop counting calories and watch carb and protein grams; started eating cleaner; only get carbs through vegetables, nuts, and seeds and the occasional berry. Eat lots of meat and fat and I don't count fat grams. Cut back on exercise - do some basic strength moves once a week - about 20-30 minutes, I do a 20 minute sprint interval once in a while. In 6 weeks I dropped another 6.8lbs. I now stay full for 5-6 hours after eating. I eat when I'm hungry. I drink when I'm thirsty. I am eating more calories than I was those first six months. It was during this stage that I lost all the inches off my belly and hips. It was during this stage that I started seeing some serious muscle definition. It was during this stage that my energy levels increased, all my digestive issues went away. My eczema is gone, my hiatal hernia is gone. I sleep better. The extra weight loss without even trying was just a bonus. I no longer have to worry about portions and my weight is holding steady.

I don't care how many studies out there say that a calorie is a calorie or that it's all about calories in/calories out. Those studies tell me the exact same thing this one does.

Yes for me N=1 and that is all that matters to me.

If it's working for you, be it science or mental, it's working so keep it up.

However, the law of thermo dynamics says that calories in vs calories out is all that matters in weight loss and this principle of physics is sound.

Maybe you feel more full now eating more meat and maybe feeling less hungy results in less overages in calories and perhaps more energy so yo feel better. All these things help people stay on the program long term, but is not going against calories in vs calories out. Perhaps you could have been insulin resistant and that could be another factor and in that case less carbs and more protein would be better. Then again you are increasing your TEF as well by eating more protein.

Either way, if it's working keep at it.

Thank you for your response. I do appreciate the way you responded even though we might not completely agree with each other.