THOSE ON ORTHO EVRA (birth control patch)

If you are using the patch form of birth control - like a nicotine patch, only birth control hormones - I've just discovered the hard way that you should NOT apply one right before a workout. I just switch back a few weeks ago after several years on another type of BC and when I changed mine today it was right before I got on the treadmill... after an hour of sweating and heating my body and moving and such, I glanced at my bicep and noticed a white goo around the edges and a lot of the adhesive is unstuck at the edges. I'm going to have to replace it with one from next month's supply and talk to my doc to get more... what a hassle.

I'm not a doctor, I don't know what the drug company has to say about this, but yeah... take my advice, give it an hour or so before you work up a sweat, and be really sure you do that holding it down firmly for the first 30 seconds or so to makes sure it sticks well.

Replies

• lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    I noticed that quite frequently with the ortho evra. It was one of the things I didn't like about it. I would take a q-tip in rubbing alcohol around the edge to get rid of the adhesive that would form around the edge. You don't need to replace it unless it comes completely off. Check your packaging info.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Yeah, this is more than the usual stickiness around the edges, it had turned very liquid. And the patch came entirely unstuck in the shower afterward, so I felt safest just replacing entirely.